Chapter 68- End of book 1

Lizzie's POV

"Alexa I won't tell you again, if you want breakfast you need to hurry up!" I yell down the hall as I throw my hair into a quick bun. Let's just say the atmosphere this morning is a little tense, we slept in past our alarm and also the fact we were both in very deep sleeps didn't help, but now we are both going to be late.

What makes it worse is, as we all know my daughter is not a morning person, and trying to get her to rush is not working.

After Alexa finished school yesterday, we went to Home Depot, it took us 3 trips for different samples to find the exact colour she wanted to paint her room. When we finally got everything we needed, I insisted on checking with Mike that she'd be okay to paint since her ribs are still healing. Even though she barely has any pain now, I wanted to be sure.

Once he gave us the go ahead we went home and changed into matching overalls, very cute I know! It only took us around an hour to do the first coat of the blue, then repaint and gloss the skirting boards and Alexa's book shelf. We make a great team!

I cooked us dinner and we sat outside in the yard while we ate which was really nice, also because we were covered in blue and white paint and I didn't want that on my couch. We talked about school and life and anything that came to mind, it was magical just being lost in our moment and hearing Alexa's laugh.

It's probably one of my favourite moments with my daughter, her smile will forever be etched into my mind when I think of that night.

We went back upstairs and painted a second coat to her bedroom walls and honestly it looked even better than how I pictured it. As we were clearing up I couldn't help myself, I dipped my fingers into the paint tray and slowly walked up behind Alexa.

"Sweetheart, look at this!" I say trying not to laugh, she stands up and turns around straight into my blue covered finger and I swipe it across her face! "Oh you did not just do that! MOM!" She squeals in her laughter and I do it a second time.

Alexa's face turns into her mischievous smirk and before I knew it she was softly high-fiving my face with her white paint covered hand. I gasp and blink my eyes open "Oh it's on missy!" I chuckle walking towards her, she instantly turns and bolts out the door.

I follow her as fast as I can down the stairs and out the back patio doors into the yard. She turns to face me and we both start circling each other, covered in paint, in our matching overalls, bare foot on the grass. If we had any immediate neighbours they'd think we were crazy.

We both giggle as I run towards Alexa, wrapping my arms around her body and lifting her up until we tumble down on the grass. "Okay, okay you win!" Alexa laughs in defeat catching her breath, we lay still both looking up at the stars. The sky is so clear tonight which is rare.

We lay in silence for a little while just looking, Alexa's hand slowly takes mine as she brings it up under her chin. "Mom?" She asks quietly, I turn my body slightly so I can see her. She just stays staring up at the sky. "Yeah sweetheart?"

"Do you think she looks down on me?" Alexa once again asks, so quietly I only just heard her. I move right up next to her and take my hand back, instead putting my arm under her shoulder and rejoining her hand on the other side so I can cuddle her.

"I do, I think she'll always look down on you." I answer honestly, I'd like to think it brings her some comfort but what she says next takes me by surprise. "I don't. I don't think she does anymore... not all the time anyway."