Chapter 15

Niall's POV:

I was so happy when I saw Sophie sitting in Mrs Carter's office but at the same time, I'm disappointed. I know from the letter she wrote to us that she's afraid her parents will hurt us but she doesn't get it. We're a family and no matter what we protect each other. I thought Sophie knew that we would do anything for her... This day has been hell, not knowing where she has been but overall I'm just glad she's okay.

Right now she's in Zayn's arms and refuses to let go. She knows we are going to talk about this when we get home, I can see it in her eyes. She's afraid, although she doesn't have to be. We all take a seat in front of Mrs Carter's desk and watch her open a yellow file.

"So, Sophie came here to know more about her biological parents" she starts and looks at us seriously.

We nod for her to continue and I can see Sophie look at her with curious, yet nervous eyes.

"As I've told Sophie before, her parents went to jail around the same time she came to this orphanage" she says.

"Although, since there wasn't enough evidence and Sophie wasn't in the shape to testify they only got four years in prison" she continues.

"But this doesn't make sense" Liam mumbles, "Sophie got here three years ago and they couldn't have sent that letter from jail"

"They got out early, because of their good behaviour" Mrs Carter says sadly.

"How do you know this?" Harry asks confused.

"I got a call the same day they were released"

"So you have known about this for a while? Why didn't you tell us?" Liam asks, getting quite upset.

"Because I didn't want that to affect your decision of adopting Sophie," she says desperately, "you seem like such nice boys and she really deserves a safe home"

Sophie hasn't said a word yet, she's just staring straight ahead like she's in her own world.

"Sophie?" I ask carefully.

"Hmm?" she says and looks at me.

"How do you feel?" I say and take her hand.

She's still in Zayn's arms but I'm sitting next to them so she knows I'm here for her too.

"I feel fine" she mumbles and looks down at the ground.

"Sophie" Harry sighs, "we know you're not fine, nobody would be in this situation"

She stays silent for a long couple of seconds before she takes a deep breath and says;

"Honestly, I don't feel anything I'm just numb"

She looks utterly exhausted, I think it's time for us to go home.

"Hey lads, maybe we should take her home so she can rest" I say and stand up.

The others do the same but before we turn and walk towards the door, Liam leans forward and asks Mrs Carter;

"Do you know where her parents are now?"

"No, I'm sorry" she shakes her head.

"Call me if you need any help" she calls after us.

In the car on our way home, everyone is dead silent. I guess everyone is in their own thoughts about Sophie's parents. We walk inside and sit on the couches.

"Sophie", Louis starts, "even though we can understand why you thought you protected us when you ran away again, you still did something we told you not to do"