Saying Goodbye

"What happened?" I asked, "This...This guy... I didn't even know him but he just came running at me, like a rabid dog! His body was rotting and he was missing an arm. Now this might sound crazy, but he was just like a real life zombie!"
"Well if it was a zombie, and from looking at the bite wound on your shoulder; you're soon going to become one of those mindless cannibals!"

"No!Dad!" Jen cried as she sat down next to him, her eyes filled with water as she put her arms around her father and clutched him tightly, and then she broke down entirely.

"Jen, listen to me," he said gripping her shoulders so their faces were aligned "Everything is going to be okay as long as you stick with your brother. Take my money, pack the things you need. But only the things you need, and go, get out of this godforsaken place!"
"Ok, I'll go get my stuff" Jen wept.

She wiped her glossy eyes and walked upstairs.Dad turned his head to make sure she had gone upstairs before looking back at me and calling me over to him. I sat down next to him as his hand reached down into his inner coat pocket, he pulled out a metallic silver pistol.

He looked me in the eyes and said:
"Take this, but only use it when you really need to. Protect your sister, stick together, and do whatever it takes to stay alive."

"But dad-"

"But nothing! Go! Now! Go and get changed and grab everything you need and go. Run and don't stop until you get out of the city!"

I nodded silently, I wasn't going to argue with him, not this time. I managed to get halfway up the stairs before he called me again- I turned to face him, he looked me in the eyes and said:
"Luke, I don't have long left. When I turn, you grab that gun and you shoot me, right in the head. Don't hesitate, because no matter how much that may look like me,it's not.Please, Luke. Don't let me down." I nodded at him "I won't, I promise"
I said before turning back and continuing to walk up the stairs.

As soon as I reached the top of the stairs I ran into my bedroom and slammed the door shut behind me, ran over to my curtains to look out of the window. Chaos,everywhere.

There were burning cars in ruins, people fleeing from their houses and total desolation.Everything was destroyed.The happy town of Bolton I once knew, was destroyed by hundreds of animate, soulless bodies with an insatiable appetite for living human flesh.

I knew from this moment onwards nothing would ever be the same, ever again. I quickly pulled the curtains shut and grabbed my favourite Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith t-shirt and a blue and grey flannel shirt with ripped jeans and my dirty red Converse.

I Grabbed my duffel bag from on top of my wardrobe and packed in with the things I needed, and as Dad said only the things I needed. I packed a pocket knife my dad gave me for a camping trip when I was like 11, some extra clothes, and some food and water.