Chapter 10

The streets of the capital seemed different.

The meager droid patrols were gone. There hadn't been many to begin with, but their absence was strongly felt.

The people felt it too. It didn't take a Jedi to sense the dread that everyone felt hanging over them even heavier than before.

Jethro felt a sense of dread hanging over himself as well. The Doctor's warning was proving to be true.

Why had they turned on him like that? What was the treason charge about, and how widespread was this?

If only the Doctor were still alive. Maybe he could have answered his questions.

People were gravitating towards the center of the town and the Senate Hall located there.

Jethro let himself get pulled along with the crowd. He didn't know how, but maybe he would find some answers there.

By the time he arrived, a huge crowd had gathered, looking for answers, just like him. The CIS president stood on a balcony facing the crowd and addressed them.

He looked tired and defeated.

"My fellow people. I am afraid I..." He stopped, seeming to lose his will to go on, then pushed forward. "I am afraid we have lost the war."

There was a collective gasp from the crowd all around Jethro.

"Our military leaders have either been killed, or surrendered unconditionally. The survivors have ordered the immediate shutdown of all droid forces."

A cry went up from the crowd, "we will not accept!"

"Stand and fight!"

It was some time before the president could get control of the crowd once more.

"Please, I'm sorry. It's over."

The man seemed to wither away as he shrank back into the palace.

There was a moment of silent disbelief, then the crowd started to come alive again. They were angry.

Jethro could sense them about to do something drastic. He tried to slip out of the crowd but was pulled to a halt when several people let out screams of terror.

It didn't take long for Jethro to figure out what caused them.

Hovering in the sky above them, was a sight that made Jethro's heart sink into the bottom of his boots. Hovering above them was The Brawler, weapons aimed at the occupants of the square.

The crowd flooded out of the square, taking Jethro along for the ride. The crowd thinned quickly as they dispersed along the many streets that meant the safety of home.

Jethro wasted no time getting off the streets. He knew that the crowds had saved him in the square, but without it, he was vulnerable as a newborn.

He just had no clue that they were going to be this relentless.