PROLOGUE

~~~~~~~~~~~COLE~~~~~~~~~~~
The wind bites at my lips, why did it have to be so cold out? I pulled my jacket tighter across my chest. Attempting but failing to get a little protection from the frosty air. A woman is sprawled across the forest floor. It's her time. She has blonde hair stained at the tips with drying blood and dead eyes staring blankly up into the tree tops. One of her shoes were gone, probably lost somewhere during her attempt to escape. She looked cold, but I knew she couldn't feel anything anymore. The deep gash in her throat was proof of that.
"Sarah, it's time." A low metallic voice that I have heard many times in the past 5 years broke my thoughts. He was talking to the woman's body. It was Death himself who appeared in front of me. His black eyes staring back at me. He was tall and slim, his grey suit freshly pressed. It made me smirk, you would think death would be old and cloaked in a dark robe. Instead he is a man who appears to be in his 30s and dressed cleanly with slicked back blond hair. However one thing is the same between the stereotypical grim reaper and the real Death...
"Scythe!" He called out in a booming voice like thunder. His hand was surrounded in a black fog which soon manifested into a long, sharp scythe with a handle that reached to the ground. " Watch me. You are now 18 and old enough to take a soul. It's time you learn how to collect." He said to me. He raised the scythe above his head and brought it down in an ark slashing right above her chest. A slit formed in mid air and hovered silently for a second. A gentle blue light soon spilled out the edges followed by an orb of pure energy the same blue as the glowing essence. An innocent. When death found me he had immediately began to explain the colors of the souls. Blue, an innocent life who had not deserved to die. Red, the souls of people who had taken their own life. Green, the lives who were scheduled to die and were right on time. Finally black, the people who have done many things wrong during life such as murder.
He took the soul into his hand and closed it into his palm, the next moment the light was gone along with the slit in the air and the scythe. "Do you have any questions?"
"No." He gave me a cold look.
"No what?"
"No,sir." He smiled obviously satisfied. Well then I think you are ready for your first task.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was thirteen when I died. But also when my life began. I can't remember anything about my life before the incident, it's like it was never there. Just an empty spot in my brain that no matter how hard I try I can't fill. I do remember waking up. The wind was hot and loud, the ground under me was wet and sticky. I felt pain, excruciating pain. Thats when I first heard the metallic voice like gears screeching to a halt call my name and suddenly the hurt was gone. Replaced by a sudden warmth that started from my toes and ended at my eyes.
"Cole, it's time."
I didn't understand what he had meant by time but soon discovered the reason I had felt the pain was because I had been in a crash. I had died. He explained it all to me, Death. He had spared me that day because he said I had a Grims blood line. It made no sense to me then and it still isn't clear but I do know one thing. I am Deaths apprentice.