One Dance

"A ball, you say?" I asked, staring at le Comte with Arthur lounging on the couch beside me. Comte nodded and I wondered what was going on in that head of his. "If I may inquire as to why you think this is a good idea?"

Arthur laughed, and Comte's lips twitched slightly, his eyes softening. "It is a ball hosted by a good friend of mine, but seeing as I cannot attend, I request you and Arthur to go in my stead." He paused. "Mozart has been invited, and is taking Kiyomi along with him."

"I believe Mozart will be performing then."

Le Comte nodded in affirmation.

"You see, there's just one small problem..." I trailed off.

"You don't know how to dance, do you?" asked Arthur. I shook my head, wondering how he had hit the nail on the head. "And now you're wondering how I know." I huffed and he smiled. "Well, seeing as you have a dress from le Comte and jewels from the same, it stands to reason that your only concern would be dancing."

I sighed.

"I can teach you, ma cherie," said Comte.

"I can teach her myself," said Arthur, chancing a glance at le Comte.

I looked between the both of them, my eyes widening as le Comte smiled. "I shall leave it to you then, Arthur."

Arthur's eyes brightened as he pulled me along.

                                 *

"You really don't know how to dance," said Arthur with amusement as I stepped on his feet again.

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

"First time dancing?"

"Unfortunately, yes." I looked down as he twirled me around, cautious not to step on his shoes again. "It'll hurt worse in the ballroom, considering I'll likely be wearing heels."

Arthur winced. "I would like to ask you to refrain from unintended murder."

I hit him lightly on the shoulder, my eyes still cast downward. A hand rested under my chin, pulling my face up as I looked into his mischievous blue eyes. "When you dance, you're supposed to look at me, love."

"You won't be complaining when your feet are sore."

He smiled, before lifting me up and setting me down again. "You might be a bad dancer, but you do pick things up quickly. No wonder Sebastian loves having you around."

We stopped dancing and I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. We both turned at the sound of footsteps to see a distressed Kiyomi walk past the room. She didn't even look in.

"Is she alright?" asked Arthur, more curious than concerned.

"I believe she had a disagreement with Mozart," I answered. "And I'm afraid there's no one to hold her heart together before it breaks."

He nodded. "I'm sure they'll be fine."

"They should be." I stretched my arm. "They love each other after all."

                                 *

Arthur was pulling at the cuffs on his sleeve at the mansion's front door when I ran down the stairs, almost tripping over my blue gown, earrings swinging wildly.

"I'm here!" I called out as he turned, his eyes widening as he gave me a quick glance up and down. He looked rather dashing in formal wear. "You look gorgeous," I said, stepping in front of him.

He stepped close enough that our shoes were touching, and then placed a gloved hand on my cheek. "You look beautiful." A second later, he smiled. "I finally got you to blush."

"Has anyone ever told you you're terrible?"

He laughed and offered me his arm. Together, we walked out the gates and headed to the ball venue in a carriage. The carriage stopped in front of a mansion in the city, and Arthur helped me down.

Heading in, we both listened to the music that flowed from the ballroom, both of us looking at Mozart, whose gaze was completely concentrated on his hands and the pianoforte. People stood around, talking and chatting, wineglasses in hand. A chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling, its light spread throughout the room. I spotted Kiyomi in a gorgeous yellow dress leaning against the wall with a glass in her hands, her gaze transfixed on Mozart, a gaze that spoke of admiration and love.

Arthur and I headed over to her.

"Kiyomi," I said, as Arthur whispered in my ear, saying he was going to go get a drink.

Kiyomi raised her glass to me with a smile. "Today's melody is wonderful."

"I don't disagree in the slightest. Have you worked out what's wrong?"

She shook her head as she looked to Mozart. "I haven't yet managed to pry it out of him."

"I wish you luck."

She smiled, a smile that quickly faded in surprise as she looked at something past me. I turned to see Shakespeare walk up to us.

"Will," I said with a slight nod of my head.

"My dear Mina. Would you grace me with a dance?"

I blinked and then looked around. Arthur was a little away, chatting with the host of the ball, and Kiyomi gave me a dismissive wave of her hand, telling me to go on. I simply nodded, and Shakespeare led me away.

"I assume there is something you wish to talk about?" I asked, as he took my hand.

"I recall you told me the last time we met, 'I may have lost everything, but that means I have everything to gain,'" he said. I nodded. "Do you still feel the same?" He twirled me around.

"Indeed. My feelings have not changed."

"You say all you have left is to gain, but are not the mansion and the residents something you have to gain?"

I didn't know how to respond, but Arthur walked up to us just as the song ended. "If I could have my date back..."

Shakespeare bowed to me, and not knowing what to do, I followed his lead. "I had a wonderful time with you."

"Likewise."

We watched as Shakespeare left, and then Arthur grabbed my hand. "Are you still up for another dance?"

I heard another tune start up—a tune that was not remnant of Mozart—and then I put a hand on his shoulder. "I think I might enjoy a dance with you."

"Ah, I see you have taste," said Arthur, taking the lead. "Did he say something to you?'

"Nothing too worrisome, but I think there'll be a day where I'm going to wish I had stepped on his feet today."

Arthur's lips quirked up. "That would have been entertaining to watch."

A hint of yellow fell into my line of sight, and I spotted Kiyomi, who was attempting to talk to Mozart, but Mozart was looking away, his eyes landing on someone else. Following his gaze, I saw Shakespeare, who had a dark smile on his face, a smile that I associated with Daniel, with madness, with murder. Mozart looked unhappy, as if something were troubling him, something he had yet to find the words to explain. And yet, he lead her to the dance floor, and Kiyomi, despite looking worried, navigated the floor with ease, as if she and Mozart had done this many times before.

"Do you have a take on what's plaguing Mozart?" I asked, looking up at Arthur who was also watching the couple.

"I believe someone said something to him, likely about Kiyomi, and there are many things that could be. But the end of it is that it has left him confused about where he stands with her."

I nodded with a small sigh. We danced until the final note faded, a gentle bow of chivalry the last thing we offered the dance floor.

************************************