Weaver of Tales

"Shakespeare?" I asked. "William Shakespeare? Writer of Othello and Hamlet and..."

"Him, yes," nodded le Comte. Le Comte wore his pleasant business mask, but I could tell his smile was slightly strained. "He wished to meet you."

I stroked Asura, who had settled in my arms, behind the ears. "Is there a reason why?"

Le Comte shook his head. "Perhaps to give you his condolences. And the fact that you happen to be here with no way home." He paused. "You seem to be taking that quite well." He looked at me, his eyes telling me that I could not lie my way through this. "Ma cherie, do you really have no desire to go home?"

I shook my head. "I have no family left, and I had a few friends, who most likely have gone on with their lives. Jasper and I never stayed in one place for long."

He nodded, his eyes sympathetic. "William said he would be coming over this evening. I suggest you take Arthur with you while you meet him."

"Is he dangerous or something?"

Le Comte shook his head. "I fear he is on a dark path."

I nodded. "I'll be careful," I said as I stood up.

"Have a good day."

"You as well."

Asura and I walked down the corridor. 'William Shakespeare, huh.'

"Do you know him?"

'Of course, even us demons know his name, for he has written a great many of our stories. Stories of fairies and demons, of Titania and Oberon.'

                                *

I was hanging the clothes in the garden with Kiyomi when Vincent walked up to us.

"You seem happy today, Vincent," I observed.

"Will is coming today," he said with a smile. Vincent grabbed one end of the sheet, and we hung it together.

"You're friends?"

He nodded. "Will was the first one to be turned into a vampire by le Comte, but then they had a disagreement and Will left to live alone." His gaze turned distant. "Theo doesn't like Will."

My eyes widened. If Theo didn't like Will, he was probably dangerous. As much as I hated to admit it, Theo had a very good sense of intuition, and he hated anything that could hurt his darling brother.

A bark rammed me out of my thoughts, and I turned just in time to see a King Charles Spaniel run into me.

"Vic!" called Arthur, running to us.

The dog was now on my chest while I lay on the floor. Kiyomi and I both burst out laughing as Vincent stared bewildered. I scratched the dog behind the ear, as Arthur caught up to us. "Vic, was it?" I asked.

Arthur nodded, and I took a closer look at the puppy. He had a patch of black near his mouth, very similar to someone else I knew.

"He looks like you!"

"He does not!" said Arthur with great dignity. Vic barked as well, and their faces matched for a second, setting me off into a fit of giggles.

Arthur pulled Vic off, and he ran again. This time, Arthur just sighed as he watched him leave, before pulling me up as well. "You alright, love?"

"Of course," I said, deciding now was as good a time now as any. "Arthur, I have a request."

He raised an eyebrow. "What's this? Do you perhaps want to go on a date?"