The Mansion's Secrets

Sebastian dropped me off at my room, bowing as he left. More proof that this was the 19th century was right there in my cupboard, in all the dresses lining the cabinet.

I washed up and sat on the bed, looking around the room. Pink was the color hanging all over, giving me thoughts of children, of princesses. I pulled my legs up on the bed, wondering if this fairytale room would end up being mine forever. I sighed, feeling a weight settle upon my shoulder, as if the sky had landed on it.

A knock resounded in the room, and I headed over to the door, pulling it open. Le Comte stood outside. Sidestepping, I gave him enough room to walk in, as he looked around as well, slowly circling.

"Sebastian did well." I nodded and sat on the bed, as he pulled up a chair to sit across me. "Would you like to stay here at the mansion, ma cherie?"

"I'm afraid I am not your responsibility," I said softly.

He leaned back slightly. "And you are stuck here in the 19th century. The least you could have is a place to stay. If the mansion or its residents displease you, I could arrange a place for you to stay in the city."

"I appreciate the thought, but I couldn't possibly ask you to do that for me." And besides, the whole city out there seemed scary. There was no way I was going out there. "Then, if it's alright with you, I would like to stay here."

He smiled. "Of course." Pulling a pocket watch from his shirt, he glanced at it and continued. "Shall we head down to dinner? You may as well meet the other residents."

I nodded, and together, we headed to the dining room, while I quickly sketched a map in my head, so I would know how to return. The walls seemed to be speaking, as though they hid a secret within them.

"This mansion feels timeless," I said quietly. "Even you feel timeless."

Le Comte's smile became slightly strained, and that had me wondering if I said something I shouldn't have. As we entered the dining room, quite a few people looked up in surprise.

"A guest?" asked a blond-haired man with gentle blue eyes and an angelic smile.

"I'm Mina Sage," I nodded, vaguely noticing Sebastian and Kiyomi enter through another door that I assumed led into the kitchen. Arthur entered as well, flashing me a smile.

"My name is Vincent," he said.

"She looks like a puppy," said the brown-haired man next to him. He shared Vincent's eyes.

"Indeed, Sir Golden Retriever."

Arthur laughed, and the man looked both bewildered and infuriated. "She got you there, Theo."

A white-haired man nearby clicked his tongue. "So noisy."

"Come on, Wolf. It's not often there's excitement in the mansion," said Kiyomi. Wolf's eyes softened almost immediately.

Leonardo entered as well. "You're here." I nodded to him, as Le Comte gently guided me to the table. I watched another pink-haired man walk in, doing a double-take as he saw me.

"A guest?"

"Hello," I said, carefully watching his expression. "I'm Mina."

"Isaac," he said, looking away immediately. I would have thought he disliked me, if not for the fact there was no hostility in his eyes. So he was simply shy.

"I believe that's all the people you'll be seeing today," said Leonardo, nodding to Sebastian, who poured him red wine from a small bottle.

I eyed the glass. Something felt off to me, something very wrong, but I didn't know what. The temperature seemed to fall by ten degrees as the voice in my head called again. 'Are you sure you don't know?'