Chapter 1

Emmeline’s P.O.V.

I awoke to the tickling fingers running across my flesh. I smile and open my eyes, blinking the sleep from my eyes. ONce the sleep was cleared from my sight my mate comes into view. His warm tender eyes meet mine. He presses a kiss to my shoulder making his dirty  blonde hair fall into his forest green eyes.

“Good morning Hunter.” I whisper tiredly, running my hands lazily up his chest and up around his neck, looping them around him.

He smiles as well and continues his assault on my senses, running his fingers across the naked flesh of my collarbone.

“Morning beautiful.” He gruffs tiredly back.

“When did you get back?” I whisper closing my eyes briefly from the effect of his touch had on me.

“Several hours ago.” He answers, running his nose along the curve of my neck.

“And when are you expected back.” I murmur tightening my arms around him, opening my eyes.

He turns his head towards the window, judging the suns position in the sky.

“Soon, but right now I will enjoy what I can of my mate.” He growls lowly, taking possession of my lips with his own.

His chest rumbling with contentment , I return the kiss softly tugging at the hair from the nape of his neck in encouragement. But before anything could get started a round of knocks drove us apart.

“It’s the Beta, I have to go.” Hunter mutters begrudgingly, slowly extracting himself from my arms, making me pout in disappointment.

“I wish this stupid war would just end. I want you my mate all to myself.” I grumble, dragging the blankets up to shield my flesh from the chill in the air.

My light blonde curls falling over my shoulders and tangled down my waist as i sat up. Hunter smiles at me and tugs on his sweat pants. He leans over and kisses my brow, lingering there for a moment longer than necessary before pulling away.

“It’ll be over soon enough, and you my future Luna will rule with an iron fist and warm heart.’ He assures bending over to shove on a pair of boots and straightening up to pull on a black fitted t-shirt.

I run my eyes over him and smile, he looked like a hot mess. He is all mine, has been for the past four years.

“Then hurry back, seeing you in all those clothes makes me want to rip them off you- all over again.”I husk appraising him with my eyes.

He groans, leaning back over to kiss me. Linger longer making Jonhas knock louder on the door. Hunter growls in frustration.

“Till we meet again Emmeline.” He says, fisting his hand over his heart.

“Till we meet again Hunter.” I mimic, biting my lower lip; watching him leave me once again.

I awoke feeling as though I was being torn apart. I couldn’t move, I almost couldn’t breathe from the pain raking throughout my body. But all I could do was scream and claw at the sheets beneath me. alerting the whole pack of my distress- alerting my father the Alpha who came bursting into my home, racing towards me. The smell of his victims blood still fresh upon his skin. His battle gear rattling as he raced forward to wrap his arms around me. As sudden as the pain started awakening me from my sleep did it stop as soon as my father’s arms were around me. Leaving the feeling of utter loneliness and emptiness. A heart wrenching howl that left me cleared up everything for those who didn’t know.

Hunter is dead and now- now I am alone. Mateless.

“HUNTER!” I howl folding into myself as my father tried everything he can to comfort me. Like I was a small child waking from a nightmare.

Except this is no nightmare. This was all too real, there would be no waking up and I could lose my title to become the Luna of my pack- forever.

......................................................................................

Beauregard ‘Beau’s’ P.O.V.

I gasp awake, sitting straight up; gripping the sheets tightly between my fingers. Taking suck deep breaths making my chest move in a panting motion, wiping the sweat from my eyes. Then the sound of wolves started howling from outside, I throw the blankets off of me and quickly get outside. The sound of mourning echoing loudly through the sound, making my ears ring and heart pound at the thought of someone losing their mate. The only time a howl sounded as painful and lost as that was one of a lost mate.

“HUNTER!” the howl echoed around us as if we were to endure this pain along with the she-wolf.

I fall to my knees, joining my father’s pack as we howled along with everyone else. For the loss of a warrior, a son, a mate.