7- Snow

When we pull up I spot his truck the interior lights on and a little girl excitedly sitting on her feet bundled in what looks to be bright pink snow gear. He points in our direction and watch as she tries climbing over his lap as soon as the door is open. We climb out ourselves grabbing our sleds and making our way over. Claire running ahead in a matching squeal to Maddy's.

"Well they seem thrilled." I smile watching as they hug one another as if they had known each other there whole lives.

"Oh yes. Maddy is beyond thrilled for a new friend to play with. That and staying up past beditme is a real treat." Keaton explains looking down at his daughter with such joy.

"I understand that. Are you ready for this?" I ask looking from the giggling three year old's up at the lightly lit mountain in front of us.

"I am!" Daniel jumps excited. his plastic blue sled clicking against the sidewalk.

"Well you heard him. Let's go!" Keaton declares picking up his own sled and gesturing for me to go first.

We start lower down taking the younger ones with us until they feel more comfortable riding down. The sound of fun and laughter have me on cloud nine as everyone plays together. I never imagined ever doing this again but with the fresh snow powder and three kids giggling, I can't think of anything that could be better.

"Alright mama; lets go higher." Daniel decides, and I freeze hearing the cheers from the rest of the group.

"Uh oh; is mommy scared?" Claire's voice teases while I focus on swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Keaton Hold mommy's hand now." Daniel demands, and to my surprise, he does as the five year old ordered and takes my gloved hand in his.

"I got her little man. Let's go." I try to fight him a little but see even the little ones are excited and ready. Swallowing my fear, I follow them up staring at the ground as we hike higher and higher. It's not until we stop that I look up to see how high we had climbed. By instinct, I grab onto the front of Keaton's coat and pull my body to his. I feel his hands pat my back, and I look up to his face to see it again. That sparkle I'd seen in his eyes at the restaurant.

"You're alright, holly. I got you." He tells me bringing one of his gloves to brush my cheek. My breathing becomes slow and my checks pink.

"Mommy. where's your sled?" Daniel asks, breaking the moment.

"Oh god, I..." I start a panic. Keaton grounds me.

"She's going to ride down with me. That way, I can hold her hand." He covers placing his long toboggan in place and offering me a hand on.

"Good." Daniel declares sitting on his own sled.

Grounding my feet in the snow, I sit on the shiny red sled focusing on my breathing while Keaton moves around, adjusting the kids before sitting behind me. His legs on both sides of mine, his arms reaching around me to take the string. I can feel his warm breath on my neck from this position that seems to wake up a part of me I hadn't really been paying attention to since long before the divorce.

"Ready?" he whispers in my ear, causing a shiver to go up my spine.

"Ready." I manage grabbing onto his legs. He stiffens but doesn't comment.

"Let's go." He calls to the kids, and we watch for a brief moment as one by one, they push off, gliding down the mountain.

Letting go, we creek forward, and then we are off flying down after them. My first reaction is to scream loud with terror; only by the end, I find myself in a fit of giggles. Keaton gives me a hand up, which I take only to get my boot caught in the string of the sled and knock us both on our asses in the snow. More laughs flow from the both of us as we lay there. The sound bringing me back in time.

12 YEARS PRIOR-

"I can't believe you made me do that!" I laugh looking back to the mountain we had just come down. "Seriously, what if I had died?"

"Then I would have been right behind ya! Do you think your daddy would let me live if I hurt a hair on that perfect head?" He chuckles, coming closer

"Not funny." I try keeping a straight face but loose it.

"Come on, babe, you know I'd never hurt you!" He says, wrapping an arm around my waist

"So you're not going to break my heart?" I check placing a hand in his."Because Keaton Brown, if you do that, I don't know if I'd ever recover." I admit looking into those green eyes I get so lost in.

"Of course not. I love you to damn much to ever break what I hold so dear." He tells me

"Really?" I ask as he pulls me closer.

"As long as I'm breathing, I will always love you, Holly Greene!" He declares before kissing me. He had kissed me so many times, but every time, it seemed so much more than the one before it. My heart beats faster, my stomach fills with butterflies, and I fall further and further in love with him.

BACK OT PRESENT DAY-

My laughter falls low and then flat as I look over at him. The man who broke my heart but still managed to make it beat for him. "Mommy, you did it!" Claire claps, breaking me yet again from my thoughts. Keaton stands offering me a hand yet again. Untangling my foot, this time, I take it while answering my delighted girl.

"I did munchkin!" I smile."Your nose is going red, though I think we might need to call it for the night before it gets colder." I tell her noticing all of here tiny pink faces.

"I don't wanna leave yet!" Daniel whines "Its fun here."

"I know, but we don't want you three to get sick, do we? Not before Christmas." Keaton tells him, and Daniels eyes go wide.

"No no no. We can go. Come on, Claire, no getting sick!" He worries picking up his sled.

"Well, if you are not in a hurry, you three want to come over for cocoa?" Keaton asks shyly. A concensous of cheers makes up my mind before I can even think about it.

"I guess so." I smile

"Fantastic!" He grins

"Lead the way." I urge buckling the kids and following him home. Knowing this would be either a good idea or a very bad one.