2-home

The flight was awful. Well considering I was flying a 5-hour flight with two children alone I guess it wasn't all that awful but was uncomfortable and overly warm. So I definitely wouldn't call it a win.

"There you are my little babes!" My mother delights catching her grandkids as they run into her arms."

"And how are you dear girl?" Dad asks kissing the top of my head.

"Good. We're good. Glad to be off that plane for sure what about you?"

"Oh you know holding strong your mother actually has a surprise for you at home." He informs me. I give her a look and she only shrugs my mother had a bad habit of going way too overboard with her surprises.

"Did you hear that mommy? granny has a surprise for us!" Daniel shrieks out

"Oh, trust me, I heard. Let's find our bags, and we'll get going so we can find out what it is." Walking to the luggage carousel. It's slow, but I'm thrilled to find all three of our bags and make our way to the car within decent time.

The whole drive Daniel and Claire chatted their grandparents' ears off, and they couldn't be more thrilled for it. I messaged Dylan. We landed safely and send him three pictures of the kids on the plane.

Not too long after we pull into the driveway, i glare at my mother as the streets are packed with cars. "How many?" I ask watching as the front door flies open and the guests pour out onto the lawn.

"What can I say? Everyone's just so excited!" She grins, and my father chuckles.

I roll my eyes and climb out quickly, turning and unbuckling Claire from her car seat while Daniel clicks his own belt and leaps after his grandfather eager to greet everyone.

From my spot by the car I have only seconds to see both my sister and brother, the Smith twins Kate and Kim, Cheryl (who I'm surprised to see), Mr lancet, and before I can identify more my niece Ava is pawing at my legs eager to climb me for her cousin. Setting Claire down Ava takes her hand, and they run off together. After which I am ambushed by greetings family and friends alike.

My father whistles loudly announcing food in the house. Catching up with everyone in person is nice. I missed all of these people and this place. we run into the house after some time due to the cold where my mother had a large pot of apple cider on the stove. 

After a few hours, people start to leave. Only a few stragglers and the family remain. My sister paige and her husband Trent say their goodnight's with a very tired Ava over his shoulder. "Breakfast and some last-minute Christmas shopping on Friday?" she asks. 

"I got the kids." My mom offers. 

"Alright. That sounds good." I smile and hug her gently. 

Shortly after, the kids crashed, and my parents went to bed, leaving my brother Harden and the friends from down the road. "No joke, Holly; that boy of yours is so cute." Kate tells me passing me yet another glass of wine.

"Takes after his uncle then." Harden grins

"Oh shut it!" I laugh, throwing a throw pillow at him. 

"How are they doing anyway? With everything this year?" Kim asks, bringing the joy in the room down a notch.

"They are doing good. At first, things were really hard. Daniel was so upset, and Claire didn't understand." I admit.

"Well, I can imagine there confusion they are only kids. But what about you? Were you confused?" Kate questions. I take a moment to think about the question. 

"Honestly, no. I probably should have been, yes, but really, our light had been fading for so long. Long before everything went down. our relationship had become so clinical. Like a large to-do list all the time. He might have been the one to step out, but I stepped back a long time ago." 

"You were his wife, though. All that shouldn't have mattered. He vowed to stand by you." Harden angers

"I appreciate the support, but no. I didn't want that." 

"That sounds very mature." Cheryl speaks 

"Well, I try and be. I mean, I have to co parent with the guy. And let me tell you that is harder than anything else." 

"Oh, i'm sure." Kate agrees, holding up her glass to cheers. "I have that with my ex over Blake. We fight over everything."  I clink my glass to hers when Cheryl moves the conversation on.

"So, have you been hooking up?"

"Wait, what?" 

"Well, you said the fire died a long time ago, right? And you've been single for a few months now. So, have you found anyone to scratch that itch yet? Light the flame?" She winks. Kate and Kim giggle and harden pretends to gag.

"Ya no. I'm not really dating."

"That wasn't the question." Kim smirks behind the wine. 

"Well, the answer to that is still no. I'm busy, you know. The kids." I try

"No no no you only have them every other weekend, right? So what are you doing with all that time?" I can't help but send her a sour look.

"Oh, come on, Cheryl, you know Holly. She's never really slept around. What's your number again? five, six, seven?" Kate checks. I can't hide the blush.

"Come on." Kim nudges. followed by all four of them chanting it over and over.

"It's three okay. Nothing that special." I admit downing the rest of my glass. I look up to see their surprise. 

"But you dated all those guys in college?" Kim reminds me

"Ya, I dated in college. I didn't screw all of them." 

"So who made the cut?" Cheryl quizzes

"Dylan, we know but the other two?" Harden jumps in. 

"Well, Dylan is a bit obvious since I had not one but two of his kids." 

"Okay, and before him?" Kim pushes

"A college ex Sam. The one I dated the year before I met Dylan." 

"And the last?" Kate reminds me, and I give her a side glance. "No."

"What?" Kim asks, looking back at me and her sister.

"I didn't know you guys ever hooked up." comes shocked, Kate. "You were so young." 

"You're a year younger than me, and you lost yours at 15." I point out.

"True, but you're the one that's always followed the rules. When?"

"What are the two of you talking about?" Harden asks, bothered

"Keaton." I admit. "I was 16." The room is quiet. 

"Damn." Kim breaths.

"Why didn't I know this?" Harden questions

"It wasn't something I talked about back then, and I'm sure Daddy would have murdered him." 

"Wow, I can't imagine you getting down to the dirty back then." Kate giggles

"Okay, moving on here. What about you, Cheryl, who have you been fancying recently?"  I urge changing the subject from my slightly lacking sex life. Lucky for me, they take the bait, and I can relax for the next hour before they head out.