The one with the cheer

the worst of having a romance of any kind is that it leaves one so unromantic.

Karas POV

For awhile I thought me and Lena were getting closer. She seemed to open up a bit, let her guard down. Suddenly she started to isolate herself more. Granted we weren't really friends but I felt like we were getting there. She'll talk to me if we happen to bump into each other but she doesn't tag along to any game nights. I wonder if she knows she's invited...

"Are you thinking about you're girlfriend-not-girlfriend again?" Alex asks walking into my apartment.

"What? No!" My tone was far from convincing. Alex raises an eyebrow, "Oaky maybe. So what?"

"So what? Kara it's been three days. Just ask her out. If she says no she says no, if she says yes you have an excuse to hang out with her."

"What if she doesn't like me? I can't just just have her in my life." I sigh far too dramatically.

"Are you hearing yourself right now?" Alex scoffs walking over to me, "You and Lena weren't really even friends. Yet you're here sounding like you're in love with the woman."

"I do not!"

"You do! Just ask the woman out already!"

"What if she says no?"

"She won't. It's just a be of those things that you know." I give Alex an unconvinced look, "Just do it!"

***

Lenas POV

I look at my schedule only to see that I have a meeting scheduled with Kara. A joy. I've been avoiding her (only slightly) due to the fact I don't feel particularly keen on her discovering my feelings. It had seemed like the most obvious answer.

When Kara walks in at 11:50 I feel my heart rate spike. She's ten minutes early.

"Kara, it's good to see you." I smile trying to stay as calm as possible.

"Likewise." She sends me a bright smile in return. I really am fucked.

"Let's get started shall we?"

And she just jumps right into it. Reporting really does just come naturally to her. She's really come into her element. There are times when I'm answering that I notice she stops writing and just stares but I say nothing. I just repeat what I had said before in a hidden fashion to make sure she got everything she'll need. So in short she was just being Kara.

Of course she had to smile at me like that when she was leaving, "I do hope you know you're still able to come to game night anytime."

Lena couldn't help but smile. Of course she wouldn't give up, "I am indeed."

"I mean... we have a Christmas party coming up if you wanna go to that?"

"I'm not sure if my schedule will be open..."

"Please don't tell me you're planning to work on Christmas."

"Kara I'm the CEO of a-"

"Lena!" The look in Kara face was clearly disturbed, "That's it. I'm making Sam drag you to the party. There is no way you're working. I'm gonna have a gift for you so you better show up."

"Kara-"

"Nope. Don't argue. You're coming."

"I don't even think I know how to celebrate Christmas. The most the Luthors did was put up a tree for a day."

"Only one day?"

"Yeah. Note don't go in a long rant about gies sad it is. I'm sure Christmas isn't that amazing. Holidays are sorta useless anyway."

"Your ways will soon change Ms Luthor." She smiles slowly leaving my office, "By the way your eyes look quite pretty today."

***

Karas POV

"I don't think I've ever seen you this stressed about a Christmas party." Asked observes causally.

"It's because Lena's coming over." Sam smirks.

"Look, it's Lenas first actual Christmas. It has to be good!"

"I'm surprised you got her come honestly. She's always hated this time of year."

"Well maybe she just hasn't spent it with the right people yet."

"Are you gonna tell her hire you feel?" Alex probes.

"Alex."

"Im just saying." She says holding her hands up in surrender, "It would be a good opportunity wouldn't it?"

"I don't wanna risk it."

"You should risk it." Sam agrees, "I'm sure it would go much better than you think."

"Sam." I warn once again.

"I'm just saying. But besides you don't have to stress this much. She won't care."

Me being the good listener I am definitely didn't listen to what Sam said and proceeded to stress for the next hour. Then everyone slowly started showing up. Most people brought their usual things while Alex spiked the eggnog far more than she should've. Lena then arrived not long after Ruby. I'm assuming she ran ahead.

"Lena, you made it!" I was a little excited.

"Well for some reason Sam refused to take her own daughter so I had no choice."

"Well if I took Sam then you definitely wouldn't have shown up." Sam smiles innocently as she wraps her arms around Ruby.

"I'm not a Christmas person and you know that."

"But that will be changing very soon." I correct.

"Eggnog always helps." Alex winks handing Lena a glass.

"Can I have some eggnog?"

"Assuming Alex is the one that was in charge of it, I think you're mother will say no."

"Definitely no."

As the night went on everything seemed to be running smoothly. You could tell Lena was still trying to be a grinch about everything but she was slowly warming up to the Christmas cheer. She did refuse to participate in Christmas karaoke and the white elephant but we got her to participate in a few activities.

When the night came to an end I jumped at the chance to walk Lena to the door. Same was sitting by the island I have in my kitchen.

"Well I hope you had more fun than you thought you would." I smile shifting my weight from one foot to another.

"I suppose I had some fun." She says the words with a teasing smirk.

"You're standing under a missile toe." Sam smirks walking behind me to the main room.

"Wha-" I cut myself off as I look up, "I didn't put that up..."

"Well I'm Irish so we don't do missile toe?"

"I don't think that's a thing Lena."

"Well I hardly do Christmas traditions so we don't have to kiss or anything."

"Yeah okay... cool."

Lena smiles a little awkwardly as she turns and leaves. I'm gonna murder Alex later. I'm almost positive she was the one that put that up.

***

Lenas POV

I hide my five in my hands once I make it to my car that was waiting outside. I had every opportunity to kiss her and I just dismissed it. How could I be so stupid?