Episode 8 Down Time

Y/N's POV

Y/N: (gasps)Wow... how did you find this place, Kagami? It's so peaceful! It's as if we're actually in Japan!

Kagami softly chuckles as we walk towards the Minka. The front door slides open as we are greeted by an elderly man who wore traditional kimono. Both Kagami and I bow respectfully.

Kagami: Thank you for having the time to spend time with us.

Elderly man: (smiles lightly)Please, come in.

Before entering the Minka, Kagami and I took off our shoes and wore their house slippers that sat on the second step.

Y/N: (whispers)What exactly do you have planned, Kagami?

Kagami: (smiles)You'll see. It's not a part of the friendly competition. I promise.

Y/N: (shrugs)I'll take your word for it then...

Entering the estate, my breath was taken away when there was a full view of a waterfall in the background.

'It's as if I stepped through a portal...!'

Kagami: (softly)Y/N...!

I turn to Kagami who held her hand out.

Kagami: Let's go!

Taking her hand, I followed after her and ended up outside to take in the waterfall scenery in all of its beauty. To our right, there was a kneeling table set up with three Japanese traditional papers and art tools.

The elderly man from before kneeled at the table and smiled kindly at us.

Elderly man: Please, take your seats so we can start the session.

Filling in the last two spots, Kagami and I waited for the man's next instruction.

Elderly man: Today, we will be painting the waterfall behind me... through the traditional Japanese form of art. Ukiyo-e. Watch first, and you will do it yourself afterward.

Picking up his brush, he paints his first stroke. It was all peaceful and the sounds of the waterfall crashing only complimented the mood.

Elderly man: It all starts with how you want to convey the piece. For me... I wish to capture the tenacity of the waterfall.

Dipping his brush into the bowl of water, he swipes it against one of the other colors from his palette and continued.

Elderly man: Young lady... how do you wish to capture the waterfall?

Turning to Kagami, she eyes the waterfall before closing her eyes.

Kagami: I will capture the elegance of the waterfall.

The elderly man nods his head quietly before subtly pointing to me.

Elderly man: And you young man?

Y/N: Hmmm...

I stare at the scenery in front of me once more, not getting bored of it at all. Without processing it, I gave the elderly man my answer.

Y/N: I will paint its story.

The man stops midstroke, catching both mine and Kagami's attention. He looks up and looks into my eyes.

Elderly man: And what is the waterfall's story?

Y/N: I haven't thought that deeply into it, sir, but I will trust in the strokes of my brush to carry the story. (smiles softly)I promise I would have a story to tell once I finish.