To tame the Duke's heart - Chapter 1

Chapter One

Lord Cavendish had never believed in words like destiny or fate before.
Perhaps it was the hot summer night and some of the drinks at huge ball that his estate held this evening, that played tricks with his mind…
How else, on the day of his betrothal with the beautiful lady Lynnham, would he try to seek air on the most hidden part of the terrace and in the same moment hear the distant singing of an angel?

While he curiously gazed out over the well-shaped lawn and its magnificent nature, which was the heart of the Cavendish castle, he saw a woman or… rather an airy creature with flaming locks of gold spreading behind her dancing across the lawn towards the glittering lake that spread out in front of the great estate. Marcus had never seen this woman in all of his life; no in fact he was sure because in that case he already would have admired the natural elegance that the body of this woman seemed to possess. How anyone could look so ethereal beautiful under the bright blue moon, was a mystery to him. And with her silvery gown and its ribbons, fluttering through the air while she swirled, had made her look like she barely touched the ground.
His heart beat loudly in admiration while he savored this moment.

And then he once again heard her trilled voice when she reached the water.
Marcus began to breathe again.
Yes, it was indeed a beautiful night tonight.
But even if the full moon shone so bright, it left the world coloured in black, grey and white.
More so, it felt like the night was full of promises... and he wasn’t very much into poetry but still he tried to find ways to express the feeling that the image of the woman by the lake gave him.
She looked so carefree.
How he wished to know her.
And yet, he couldn’t and wouldn’t ever know a single thing about her.
Not even her name, yet her family prospects.

That’s why he, reluctantly, with a last glance behind his shoulder went into the ballroom once again to reclaim his fiancée from her eager dance-partners.

“Marcus, darling!”
Cassandra Lynnham’s voice cut through the crowd of gentlemen that swarmed around her.
“Oh, darling. I’ve missed you. I almost went out to look for you.”
Sure you did…
“You may excuse me in my absence, my lady… but this ball is positively exhausting. You look absolutely stunning, lady Cassandra.”
Cassandra beamed.
“Oh hush, Marcus. You sound like a rake with that charming mouth of yours! Don’t he, gentlemen? He’s such a sweetheart.” She giggled.
Oh yes, she was overly pleased to have captured the most eligible bachelor of the ton and the heir to a dukedom. His yearly income was over twenty thousand pound and he was also the most coveted man of the ton. And the most bothered one of all these titles that came with his peerage.

Marcus Reynolds, known as Lord Cavendish was even so, widely known as a man of honour and loyalty. Mothers fawned around him with their daughters, trying to make him marry them for all kind of reasons.
When he was twenty years old, a young debutant had almost claimed them engaged because he had spoken with her at a ball.
After that, Marcus had all treated women equally.
As a result it had been rumoured that ‘Reynolds lost his first love due to another, elder gentlemen and therefore stayed bachelor for so long’.
Of course it was all rumours and no one but Cassandra was more eager to dispatch of the rumours by marrying him and producing him an heir, all to make him hers in every possible way.
Lady Lynnham had suddenly declared that they were engaged, right after a night when they had shared a bed together.
Even though Marcus had been wasted and unable to do anything, Cassandra had gone into his bed while he was asleep and disposed of all her cloths so the day afterwards, Marcus had to believe her story; that he had forcibly made love to her and by doing so, he had to do the right thing by asking her father about her hand in marriage.

No one had been more surprised than Marcus friends and family of this sudden turn of events, but no one questioned anything.
Instead the bride’s father had been out of his mind of happiness when he thought about all the connections he would get when he suddenly got connected to the mighty Cavendish’ family.

Marcus tried to clear his head.

The sunrise had awoken him and he felt slightly sluggish.
The whole night he had dreamt about her.
Not his fiancée but of the woman by the lake.
It was like he had imprinted her features and his mind tortured him by replaying the scenes where she swirled, happily laughing and then he had dreamt about how he pressed his lips against her ivory skin…
Flustered, he called for his valet and got dressed.
He often went riding in the morning, and this day would be of no excuse.
He just had to get his mind on the right track again.
The woman wouldn’t bother him and his thoughts ever again.
No matter what, he had to make sure of this.

Speed.
Marcus loved speed.
The feeling of almost flying...
Miles and miles covered by the fast horse-hoofs, while they rode through the thick forest of his grand estate, always helped to clear his mind.
And he had done this every morning since he reached adolescence.
But then suddenly his horse snorted which caught his immediate attention.
“Brutus, what are…” then he looked up.
Oh.
Damnation.
It was her again. The creature from yesterday…
Or rather, she was a woman.
Just wearing an old, unfashionable dress which made her seem maid-like.
Surely she was a business-mans’ daughter because ‘lady’ surely seemed out of question.
Else her father was penniless, making his daughter look like a servant. Or perhaps she was a servant? No. She had to fair skin.
Too frail of a body, to do the hard labour a servant had to do.
He unsettled the horse and led it towards the lake.

She seemed engrossed, not noticing him as he drew closer.
Then he saw what she was looking at…
On the opposite direction, the Cavendish mansion bathed in the golden light of the rising sun.
Making it look like a fairy-tale castle with its tins and towers and its glittering lake below.
It's view was indeed breathtaking. He put a mental note to ask around in London after someone that could make him a painting of his castle when the light graced it like this.
To think that just yesterday, he had stood on the terrace and watched this same woman, who stood nailed by the shore, finally noticing him by looking surprised, and he had dreamt about her. About kissing her light pink lips while engulfing her breasts and embracing her body…

He simply had to know her name.
Gathering his courage, he put on a easy smile.
“I’m very sorry if I startled you, Miss. But may I inquiry of what reason brings you here?”
Marcus could no longer supress the curious feeling he felt and it slipped into his voice.
She turned around and once again his breath were forced out of his lungs when her beauty overwhelmed him.
He noticed suddenly that her body had tensed and she answered, trembling.
“I’m sorry if I’ve disturbed you, but I couldn’t stop admiring the view. It’s truly exquisite. But I shall take my leave immediately and never return, so please excuse me…”
“Oh, stay. Please. It’s just rare to find anyone like yourself here, simply admiring the view.
It makes me very pleased to hear.”
“Thank you, sir. Yes, it’s magnificent. The nature around here is so...umm… untouched.
It’s a wonderful place to take walks… or… or ride. Are you a guest in this mansion, sir?”
Only now that their eyes met, he noticed that her were greenish.
She had a darker shade of green in her eyes.
And with specks of gold… but only when the sunlight enlightened them.
Marcus smiled slightly. “I’m its owner, miss. So you needn’t to worry about trespassing. You’re more than welcome to stroll in these woods-”
The woman put her hand over her mouth, obviously terrified of her behaviour.
“You’re the… owner of this beautiful estate? I’m sorry that I haven’t addressed you formally, your grace. I’m… most honoured to make your acquaintance. Also… we haven’t been properly introduced. It’s not right for me to talk so freely with your grace…”
“Oh…” Marcus took the remaining steps that separated them and let his horse drink from the lake while their eyes explored each other’s appearances.
“To break such rules as entertaining the common courtship, young Miss, is my least problem, so allow me. I’m Marcus Reynolds, also known as Lord Cavendish and heir to the fourth Duke of Cavendish. It’s my pleasure to meet you, miss.”
“I’m Aurora… Aurora Tanner, Your Grace.”
“Aurora means sunrise. It’s a beautiful name, Miss Tanner.”
“Why, thank you… Y-your Grace.”
“Miss Tanner, please do not use ‘your grace’ more than necessary, even though I know it’s improper please use my name instead. To be honest with you, it’s almost so that I can’t manage when people call me ‘my lord’. I don’t believe myself to be a better being than anyone else.”
“Then you are a true gentleman, my lord.”
He grimaced.
“Why, thank you, Miss Tanner. But you won’t call me Marcus, am I right?”
She shook her head.
“I’m sorry, my lord, but it’s not proper of me to use your name when we’re barely acquaintances.”
“Oh, very well Miss Tanner. Then we’ll just have to talk more, until you’re comfortable enough for you to call my name.”
His wicked grin made her burst out into laughter.
It was a real laugh, not one of those that the woman faked in order to seem sweet. She was really a peculiar woman!
He shook his head too. Aurora… made him feel very refreshed.
This woman could only do well for him. She would be a valuable acquaintance for him.
Marcus smiled wide for the first time in ages.
“Your laughter, dear Miss Tanner, make me think you’re up to no good.”
When the young innocent woman named Aurora smiled again at him, mimicking his wicked expression which made his breath caught in his chest.
“Well of course… my lord. I’m always up to no good.”

When they had to separate later on it felt like someone had broken a spell.
It wasn’t really agony, rather an aching feeling within him that made Marcus hope that he would meet this mysterious Aurora Tanner again, rather… soon.

To be continued...