CHAPTER EIGHT | aislin

Okay my Forever followers, I hope you have enjoyed learning some words of the Croatian language. I have included 3 new words, but have conveniently told you what they mean, so you do not have to look it up. :D I hope you continue to enjoy :D Please remember to comment, because you all are so wonderful, and I love hearing from you, and vote and share if you liked :D

*****

The toxic air of the tavern was a mixture of tobacco smoke, alcohol, and stinky drunk people. My feet finally found purchase with the floor. The only separation between my feet and the tavern floor were my boots. The scent of Nolan consumed me and I tried to create some distance between us before I fainted from lightheadedness. I retracted my arm, which had rested on his shoulder, against his neck, and placed a reassuring smile on my face.

"Grayson ordered some dinner for us. Are you hungry?" 

Nolan looked awkward. He kept scanning the crowded tavern as if he was looking for someone, maybe his girlfriend? But I wasn't concerned with his love life. I was here for one thing, I reminded myself, to find Destiny.

"Great. I'm starving." I replied and followed him to the last high top table that surprisingly was not occupied. 

Pulling out my chair for me, Nolan waited as I seated myself, before pushing my chair into place. Apparently, chivalry wasn't dead and I am sure I relayed that to my expression. But if I had, Nolan didn't acknowledge it. A sigh of relief left my lips in silence. Keeping my emotions unbiased was going to be difficult I could already see this. I just had to remind myself that I would probably never see him again and so developing any kind of relationship was a bad idea.

"Here you two are." Greyson said as he set down two amazing plates of freshly seared venison steaks before us.

"For Miss Aislin, we have what I call Divljina, also known as Wilderness. It is a grilled tenderloin venison steak, in a creamy champignon sauce, over rizoto, and paired with creamed spinach and caramelized carrots." I think I drooled over my plate. The aroma made my stomach gurgle with impatience. But I respectfully waited for Greyson to introduce Nolan's plate.

"And for my dear brother, I have prepared for you what I call Zmaj, or Dragon. It is a lightly seared, grilled tenderloin venison steak, topped with a spicy pepper sauce, with a side of fresh vegetables." 

"Uzivati. Enjoy."

He departed our table quickly to return to the duties of bar keeping. I saw evidence of drool from Nolan as well, when he wiped the back of his hand against his mouth. His eyes definitely were bigger than his stomach. But who was I kidding? Men have huge appetite. It was myself I was concerned about. How was I going to eat all of this?

"Don't worry about eating at all. I can finish what you can't." His words were right on cue and I wondered if he had read my mind.

Not waiting another moment to find out if he could indeed read minds, I cut into the venison that lay before me. The meat was tough and I was sure it would taste just as gamey as the meat had this morning. Aside from the toughness, the juices that oozed out the sides made me curious to see how the meat had been seasoned and cook.

I dipped the small piece I had cut into the champignon sauce and placed it in my mouth. Closing my eyes, I savored the taste of Armagnac brandy, mixed with thyme, shitake mushrooms and tainted in cream to enhance the blend of ingredients. The Armagnac brandy that was evident in the sauce was a distant flavor I will never forget.

*** 

"Papa! Let me have a taste." I asked my father.

He had just returned home from working. I had no idea what he did, but every day he would come home and pour himself a tiny glass of his golden amber drink. He thought he had hid it from mum, but it was mum who made sure he never ran out.