17

Chapter 17

Speculation

The inky sky was filled with numerous stars shining brightly, no sign of clouds, the sky clear. Dilawar Malik sat in his balcony, with a cup of hot tea, the wisps of smoke rising from the cup. He pretended to enjoy the calmness and serenity of the nature but his insides were churning anxiously.

He was buried deeply in thoughts about the woman, his heart adored and by this time, Laila Shah had resided a permanent residence in his treacherous organ, which beat wildly even at the mention of her name.

He was worried of the way she behaved the day at the fair and despite being happy about her letting her thoughts and worries easily out to him, he had noticed a little hesitation, still present yet.

And now, he was doubting if he should tell her about his feelings for her. That it wasn't just an attraction but a lot more than it. It was something pure, and innocent and he didn't want to ruin the little trust they both had developed in each other.

He ran his hand in his hair, frustrated at the turn of events. Both him and Laila were running around in circles and he wished that they both could just sit down somewhere, where none would disturb then and he may lay out his heart to her; only if it wouldn't scare her away.

He knew that she if she might have any inclination about his thoughts, she would rather give him a feisty comeback instead of running away timidly. But wasn't she running away at any chance he got to tell her about the matters of his heart.

'Oh Allah,' he thought. What had he got himself into? It wasn't what he was here for but fate had some different plans for him. Why out of all the women, he had to fall for the one who was out of his hold? Who happened to be his potential sister in law. Why not the woman he was supposed to get married to?

He was so engulfed in his thoughts that he didn't notice the presence of his mother behind him. "Dilawar," she whispered out to him softly, placing a hand on his shoulder in order to gain his attention and he immediately raised his head, acknowledging her presence. 

"When did you come?" He asked sitting upright in his place, which earned a smile from his mother.

"When you were deep in your thoughts." She reminded him, taking her place on the plush arm chair beside his. Dilawar laughed whole-heartedly, picking up his cup and taking a sip from it.

Mariam sipped on her own tea and a moment of silence elapsed between them, broken down by Mariam herself. "What's the matter, Dilawar?"

"Nothing. Just want to return back home." He assured her but all in vain as she gave him a look of not fooling her.

"Homesickness isn't what has got you confused, that I'm sure of." She gazed outside the window in the night sky. "So, tell me. Who has the honour of occupying my son's thoughts?" She inquired, voice filled with mischievousness.

And Dilawar only shook his head laughing. "I thought you had gone to bed." He tried to divert the topic but his attempts were futile.

"Stop diverting the topic, you daft man." Mariam sipped from her cup.

"I was just having some "me" time, Amma."

"You're a terrible liar." She told him earnestly.

"Am I now?" He wiggled his eyebrows at his mother, earning a playful slap on his bicep.

"Any doubts? And I am your mother. I can read you like an open book, my child." She spoke as a matter of fact. "So, tell me. Who is she?"

"How are you so sure, it is a she occupying my thoughts?" A hint of smile played at the corner of his lips.