16

Chapter 16

Harvest Festival

The harvest of the Rabi crops is the first celebration of the year celebrated by the villagers. The seeds sown at the end of the previous year had been grown into a fruitful crop which was itself the moment of happiness as the hard work of the farmers had provided them with an efficient result. And what better way to celebrate it than a country fair and dances through which they expressed their jovial moods.

It was a bright morning of March, as the villagers swept on their feet around with fascination of their hard work and artistic approach. They had set up stalls of different games and foods and variety of different handmade articles to be sold. It was a way of people interacting with each other and enjoying the time after many months of hard work.

Ibrahim Shah and Sajawal Malik had been present at the inauguration of the ceremony. Sarah, along side Shireen had decided to stay home, as Shireen always felt it too inferior to mingle with the peasants and Sarah in no mood to celebrate with Daud's current state.

Zahida Shah, too old, to join the people. Instead, Laila was found standing behind her father. Safiya had accompanied her with Hurairah, Safiya's father, standing behind Ibrahim.

Sajawal Malik, excused himself after the inauguration, clearly not in the mind to stay anymore than necessary and drove back home.

The sunlight filtered through the glass windows of the Malik house, giving an ambience of warmth in the season of spring. Mariam Malik adjusted her shawl on her head and picking up her bag left the confinements of her room.

She found Dilawar in the foyer talking on his phone in urgency, glancing at his watch on and off and his eyes brightened when he took in the appearance of his mother. Muttering a quick bye to the person the other side of the phone, he opened the door of the house for his mother.

Mariam smiled at her son and left the house with him following her footsteps. Taking her bag from her hand, he helped the older woman in the car and placed the bag at the back seat.

He was about to sit in the car, when Sajawal's car drove into the garage of the house. He exited the car, and eyed his family walking towards them.

"Better stay in your limits among those filthy villagers. I do not want you to ruin my name and reputation. Got it, boy?" He seethed at him and glared at Mariam sitting in the passenger seat.

Dilawar clenched his fist tightly as it drew his knuckles white and only gave him a stiff nod with clenched teeth, before sitting in the car. He took the driver's seat and ignited the car, running it on the dusty roads of the village.

In order to break the thick cloud of tension, Mariam placed her hand on his bicep, telling him silently to not let his father's words get to him. And he visibly relaxed under the motherly touch.

"He's not worth your anger, Dilawar." Mariam told him earnestly. "And do not let him ruin your mood, because that is what he really wants."

"You seem very excited about the festival, Amma." Dilawar exclaimed softly earning a laugh from Mariam.

"Of course, I am. It's been so long I attended such an event."

"I assure you that you'll enjoy yourself to the fullest." He smiled while driving the car.

The festivities were being celebrated full fledged and they were to be followed for approximately a week as many people came to enjoy them.

Mariam and Dilawar roamed from one stall to another, greeting the villagers while inspecting and buying the hand crafted things.