22. New York

"Action!" I looked up from my marker. No lines here. Just listening. Max stared down at me, watching. Again, no lines. His hand gripped mine, still lowered at our sides. Moments later, I pulled away after the cut. "Great guys. Take a few while we reset the lighting. We'll call you back." I grabbed my water and walked over to my chair, plopping down and pulling out my phone. "Hey," Max said. I offered a wave. "Long day huh?" He asked, not really asking though. "Mhm," I said. I didn't feel like talking, which today worked out since none of our lines were talking lines. "I hear you're heading back home next week," he said. I nodded. "Just for a few days. Need to go check on some things," I say, my head still aimed down at my phone. "Is he going with you?" He asked again. "Are we done here? You asking a bunch of questions? I'm not really in the mood so if you need something, just let me know already. He shook his head. "Nothing needed Andy," he said, slightly hurt.

"Andy. Talk to me. Please. It's been a week. You've said nothing and it's killing me," Pedro said. I pulled the blanket down and looked at him. "I can't talk. I don't have it in me to say anything else," I say. "You haven't said anything! That's the problem. I know you're hurting Andy. Let me in. Let me help," Pedro begs. I sit up. "Of course I'm hurting! I lost my baby." His eyes are dark. "Our." He says. "What?" I ask. "Our baby. Our baby is gone. We lost our baby. I'm trying so hard to be here for you but who is going to be there for me? We need to take care of each other because that's what we do Andy. I'm hurting just as much as you are. I need you to talk to me," he almost begs. I lay back down and pull the cover back up. "I need some space then," he says. I say nothing and I feel his presence disappear and my heart breaks all over again.
***

I head over to Cassie. "Hey," I say, trying not to scare her. "Hey Andy. What's up?" She says, her eyes still soft. "Just wanted to let you know I'm leaving. I'll be back on Monday," I say softly. "He still hasn't called?" She asked. I shake my head. "I don't know what I would say to him if he had. I need to ho fix things though. It's been a month and the silence is getting to me," I admit. "Andy, you went through some tough stuff. You both did. You just need to go make things right now. No one can tell you that how you reacted was wrong. There is no right way. Stay longer if you need to. I'll hold off on some stuff until you get back," she says, rubbing my arm. "Thanks. Although, I doubt he wants to see me longer than a weekend," I say. "That boy misses you. Trust me."

***

I knocked on the door, my hand shaking, my suitcase waiting patiently under it. My hair was a mess. He wouldn't care though. The door opened. His eyes tried and red. He was dressed like he had just come back from the gym. He still looked sad. My lips started to quiver. "Hey," I say softly. "What're you doing here Andy?" He says cold. "I needed... I needed you. To see you, I mean. We need to talk," I admit. He stays quiet for a minute. "Right now isn't a good time." My heart drops with his words. He doesn't want to see me. "Pedro please. I'm sorry, for everything. I wasn't ready before but I'm ready now. I'm ready to talk. Please," I beg. A voice from behind him calls. "Who's that?" A female. "Oh god. Oh my god," I say. "Andy wait, it's not..." he starts. "It's not what I think? Really? Since when do you tell me that it isn't a good time? Forget I even came. Enjoy yourself," I say. I turned around and head back for the elevator. "Andy," he calls. I don't turn around. I press the button repeatedly, hoping that that would actually make it come faster. I hear the doors open just as I hear his footsteps come closer. I push the button that force closes the doors and they shut just as he's standing in front of me. My heart rips into a million pieces.
    I step out of the elevator and walk out into the rainy night. I stand out, looking for a cab. My tears blend into the rain coating my face. I flag down a cab that was pulling over and jump in. He pops the trunk open but I wave him no, and shut it, throwing my suitcase in along with me in the back seat. I tell him where to go and we head off. My chest is heaving just a little too much but I grip my chest with my hand, calming myself down. The drive was quiet, rain hitting the car hard. We arrived at my hotel, I handed him cash and stepped out. I walked towards the door as a gentlemen held the door open for me. "Good evening, can I take your things?" He offered. I handed him my suitcase, "Thank you," I say softly. I looked down to see that I was dripping all over the clean polished tile. "I'm so sorry, I can clean this up," I tell the gentlemen apologetically. "Nonsense. No need to worry. Let's get your things up and you can get into something dry," he tells me in a comforting voice. We walk together to the elevator. I gesture for the bag. "I've got it from here, no worries," I say. He nods and passes the bag off to me just before the door closes. I'm shivering and my skin is cold to the touch. My hair was dripping and my face was almost completely numb. I should've been used to it but right now, my world felt like it was caving in.
   I pushed the door open, reveling a clean simple room. Cassie set everything up for me before I left and I was grateful that I didn't have to do anything. I sat down on the edge of the clean linens and pulled my phone out from my coat pocket. I wiped the screen dry and saw that Pedro had called me. Ten times. Andy, please call me back. I don't want you out alone in this weather. I just didn't know you were coming. That was the only text he had sent. My heart was sinking deeper and deeper into my chest of that were even possible. The phone vibrates and I yank it up to my face. "Stop calling. You said what you needed to and you have your own company there already, so stop calling," I begin. "Andy? It's me," a voice says, I quickly pull the phone and see it's Max, and place it back on my ear. "I'm sorry. I didn't look before I answered." I hear him sigh. "It's okay, what's going on? Are you alright?" He asks. I'm sure I sound weird. I'm sniffling, a little congested from the cold and rain, and I'm heartbroken. I can't tell him that though. "I'm fine. Just getting settled. It's cold here," I tell him. I tug my coat off, the phone still glued to my ear. "I wanted to make sure you were okay. I miss... the set was quiet today without you," he says softly. "Set is usually quiet when I'm there too. I don't say more than I need to. But..." I say holding off. "But what?" He asks. "But, I should've stayed over there. This was a mistake. I might change my flight." I admit. "Andy, just take the weekend. Even if you spend it alone in your room. Just take the weekend off. Come back refreshed. I'll be here waiting for you okay?" He says. I feel guilty hearing him, knowing that it means something more. "I'll see you Tuesday then." I hang up and head straight to the shower.

****

The sun starts peeking through the shades. I'm surprised because rain was in the forecast for the rest of the weekend. I look around and sit up. Before I even think to grab the phone, it begins ringing, it's from an unknown number. "Hello?" I answer, still groggy. "Andrea," a deep voice says. "Who is this?" I ask. "Andrea it's me." Sam? "Don't call this number anymore," I say, my heart dropping. "Wait, before you hang up," he says. "I heard you were in town. I wanted to talk," he says. I scoff. "No. We aren't doing this. Bye Sam." I hang up and block the number that he called from before he has another chance to call. The phone starts ringing again. What the fuck. Another unknown number? "Hello?" I say sternly. I scoop my hair into a bun, the phone tucked into my ear and neck. "Andrea?" A voice says. "Did you all pass my number around or get together and decide you all were going to call?" I say, responding to the voice that I only knew to be my mothers. "We were worried. We heard something on that entertainment show and thought it had to be fake because you never mentioned anything about a baby to us," she says, in a matter of fact tone. "What baby?" I say, playing it off. "Look I don't know what you're talking about but I have to go. I don't have time for any of this," I respond sharply. "You don't have time for any of us Andrea. Your sister misses you." I laugh into the phone. "Screw both of you, I don't have time for this." I hang up. "I've hung up on three people within the last twelve hours," I say to myself, disappointed. No one will even know you were in New York. Cassie was full of it. "Incognito my ass," I mutter.