2. What is Lost

Regina stepped out of her hiding place and Severus immediately aimed her with his illuminating wand. When he noticed that it was Regina who stood before him, he glared at her irritated.

"What the hell are you doing here, Regina?!", he hissed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What does it look like I am doing?", she arched an eyebrow. "Lumos!", she wiggled her wand.

Severus lowered his wand, staring at her coldly. "It is unwise for you to wander around the castle alone."

"What? Do you think I am ten?", she returned the cold stare.

"No, I don't think you're ten but Igor can make you weep like you're ten", he said, his lips twiched slightly. Oh, he actually enjoyed it.

"I am not afraid of him", she shrugged. "Don't underestimate me, Severus."

He grimaced like he was disgusted. "You should go back to your chambers, Mrs. Gold."

"Mrs. Gold...", Regina repeated after him. "I was just Regina for you when we met. Then I was Reg and then Gina...", she said with sadness hiding behind her every word.

Severus stiffened, his expresion stoic and icy cold. "You are nothing more than a colleague for me."

Ouch. That hurt even though it was fair. She nodded slowly. "Good night, professor Snape", she murmured as she walked past him.

"Of course", she heard him say behind her back as she walked away. "Fleeing like a coward was always your area of expertise."

She froze in place, trying hard to process his hurtful yet true words. That was harsh, damn. Turning around, ready to reply to him, she realized that he was already gone. "You, stupid man...", she mumbled through gritted teeth. She ran down the corridor to catch him but he was nowhere to be found. How damn fast was he, anyways?! With a roll of her eyes she decided to leave it that way and she returned back to her chambers, heavy in heart.

**************

A few nights later, after the dinner, it was time for the selection of the Tournament's champions. Regina had no mood to be there but she was obligated to attend. She left her face free of any make-up and straightened her very long, dark hair. She put on her long, black dress, her matching robes and her high heels. When she was ready she joined the rest in the Great Hall. The place was so crowded and she already hated it. Severus brushed past her, ignoring her very existence. After that night they bumped into one another they never had the chance to talk. Severus was avoiding her and Regina did nothing to approach him. Her internal battle was big but her ego was bigger.

She stood straight in between McGonagall and Snape, looking down at the students.

"How are you doing, dear?", Minerva questioned, smiling kindly at her.

"I'm doing fine, Minerva, thank you for asking", she smiled softly back.

"I still can't believe that you two were my students and now you are my colleagues", Minerva spoke to both Regina and Severus.

Severus forced himself to look at you and McGonagall. "Isn't it amazing?", his ironic tone caught Minerva's attention quickly. Regina rolled her eyes indignantly.

Minerva frowned confused. "I thought you two were friends."

"Oh, we were!", Regina faked a huge grin. "Until he decided to turn himself into a giant prick!"

"Watch your language!", Severus hissed.

Minerva's wide eyes focused on her. "My dear, this kind of language doesn't suit you."