32.

Ryan and I glance at each other. At first, we don't obey, and we keep our guns drawn at Isabelle. However, the look in her eyes is a clear indication that she's not bluffing. I consider she has two guns facing her. If she wants to get out of this alive, then it's wise if she listens to us. I must also consider that she knows where our fathers are and is the only one in the universe who knows their location. We have no choice. After finally lowering our guns, bending down to drop them, we push them across the floor towards the villain. Isabelle catches them with her foot and starts relishing the amount of power she has. The weapon in her hand, more prominent than Ryan's pistol and my handgun, is more deadly than ours put together.

"What are you doing here?" Ryan demands.

"Tying up loose ends," Isabelle says.

"You're president of the Exchurch!" Ryan barks. "You were supposed to protect the Orichalcum. So why didn't you?"

"Why would I?" Isabelle retorts. "The Orichalcum has been safe in my possession for almost a year now. I only needed Maxwell so he could teach me how to use it. Unfortunately for Frankie, I forgot to explain that part of the job description to him. Poor guy. Frankie had a lot of knowledge of traveling to Earth because of his father's connections to Nightfire. It made him the perfect man to frame."

"You never intended Frankie to be on your side," Ryan confronts. "You needed someone to frame when the Orichalcum went supposedly missing. You used him."

"I hate Frankie," Isabelle says slowly. "The poor, oblivious kid listened to anything I said to him after he was promised a spot on Nightfire. Even the gullible Seekers believed me. For a while, at least. I must admit, Sagittarius, putting Frankie into a coma like that put a jab in my plans. And taking out the biochip I had him plant in you...You're very clever." She's trying to hold in how impressed she is with me, but I can tell it's triggering her. "But as for your father, Noah Devlin, I have bigger plans with him."

"And what about Luka?" Ryan outbursts. "Where is he?"

"I assume he's with Noah by now," says Isabelle. "Sag, I told you from the very beginning to stay out of this, but you and your new friends just couldn't stay away." She points her gun at Ryan. "Now...Let's see how concerned you are about the Nightfire elite team." She fires the weapon at Ryan before I have a chance to scream. The bullets are raucous, reverberating against my ears, yet Ryan doesn't react to them. The rounds crush against his chest and bounce off! Like Superman! I release a smile from the outcome.

"Ryan's muscles can operate at a cybernetic level," Isabelle lectures like she expected the aftermath. "The level of their strength can vary greatly. From the outside, he looks completely normal and not a bodybuilder. He's not, though. It's just genetic modification." She tucks away her intricate pistol and pulls out an Amorcore! An Amorcore!

"Now this gun," Isabelle explains, pointing at Ryan. "Is an invention from Kor, the Covenant Leader himself. It deteriorates the muscles."

"DON'T!" I bark. "Please, can you just put down the gun and talk to us? What do you want?" I can't sound more desperate than I already am.

Isabelle's eyes are full of amusement. With a grimace, she glances at me and is ready to pull the trigger. Ryan maintains the terror in his eyes and doesn't say a word. Momentarily, she doesn't take her eyes off him, and their staring contest becomes dreading. "What could he possibly want with you?" she mutters, mysteriously indicating Ryan. I'm perplexed by what she means, and clearly, so is he. Neither of us has enough time to ask. Because Isabelle fires the gun, and I hear Ryan outburst a, "NO!"

Three things happen simultaneously after she pulls the trigger. First, I flick my fingers toward Ryan's direction. A forcefield, quick and almost sharp, appears in front of him like a bodyguard. And whatever bullets were supposed to deteriorate his muscles backfire—bouncing off the forcefield— strike Isabelle from the outside in.