24.

"Let me offer you two a drink!" There's a bar in Julio's office. Just a tiny table with glasses and bottles of alcohol and an ice bucket.

"I'm okay, thanks," I decline.

"I'll have one." Jace takes a glass and sips it carefully. "I hear Ryan's going to fight for you," he adds.

"Best fighter in the universe," Julio brags. "My bets are already on. Already made nearly three million roubles from him."

Jace previously explained to me how betting works. Fight dealers usually don't know who the other warriors are fighting against. They pick one to cheer for at their own risk. Since Ryan is so good and coveted, the betting gets complicated and turns into a giant poker game.

"Julio, you must have pulled a lot of strings if you're betting on him tonight," says Jace.

"A dream come true." Julio takes a gulp of his whiskey, frowns, and slams the glass down on the table. It's a wonder he's still standing at this point. "Why have you come to talk to me?"

It takes a minute to explain the situation eagerly. Julio has information we need about rankings, particularly Brigadier badges, to get to the Athena.

"Why should I help you?" asks Julio.

"Because we're asking you nicely," Jace answers.

"Because you're asking me nicely?" he repeats. "Well, having a Brigadier badge is a huge privilege. Only warriors under Nightfire can hop back and forth from Earth with that. I can't just hand them out willy-nilly. An entire process must be done. You know the rules, Jace."

"The rules are we just have to prove ourselves," Jace says. "You see where I'm going with this? If my buddy, Sag here, wins a few fights tonight, he can be given a Brigadier ranking. He needs a fight dealer first."

"Interesting," Julio says. "All right. I'll take this moment of opportunity. Say I do help your friend get a higher ranking; what can you boys offer? Hundred thousand roubles? A spot for me on the Nightfire team? Hm?"

"Wow. You are a scammer," I notice. "Nice."

"Sag, you're not helping," Jace tells me. "Then what do you want, Julio? Money?"

"You're gonna have to do better than that, genius," Julio bargains. "You Nightfire warriors are filthy rich. I'm going to want something more...Like another warrior."

"You want another warrior to bet on?" Jace sounds appalled, and I immediately know the offer is unrealistic. "You have Ryan already."

"Ryan is only for tonight. I want a permanent warrior," Julio specifies. "And not just any warrior. One of your Nightfire warriors will do perfect." His eyes wander to me. "Someone like him."

"Fine!" Jace barks. "How about we make this interesting, then? You put Sag in the ring against Ryan. We're not breaking any rules."

I jolt upright. "Jace..."

He ignores me. "If Sag wins, you put him in the system as a Brigadier warrior. If Ryan wins, we give you four million roubles, plus you'll get the winnings from your other bets. And Sag becomes your new warrior. Risk one brawl to gain a fortune."

An idiot would say no to that, but Julio seems unsure. "You sound confident for making that kind of a deal. You really think Sag can beat Ryan in a brawl?"

"Well, you know what?" Jace says. "We don't have much of a choice. We made it this far. You're our last resort. If Sag does win, you give him his earned Brigadier. No games!"