27.

I slide my room key into the slot on the doorknob and enter a complimentary suite. Three bedrooms, a kitchen, and one of the bathrooms has a jacuzzi! Not exactly as impressive as the Nightfire Bunkers back in Horowitz, but I can never complain about the hospitality they give us for free. I'm the last to arrive. Everybody else has settled in for a while now. I see Kitty's whip hanging over the doorknob, Danny's jacket—a plaid one he always wears and has since the seventh grade, and Justin's locked case where he keeps his Glove secure.

I carry my duffle bag into one of the bedrooms, and there's Danny, staring out of one of the windows, looking at the most splendid view New York City can offer. We're on the top floor. It's a long way down to the pavement. Outside looks joyous considering the snow, but Danny's profile shows the opposite: distraught, depression, anxiety, and a shadow of anger. I shuffle in, and he snaps his head around to face me. His eyes are wet and puffy from all the crying he's been doing.

"Listen. Danny," I say. "Everything just happened so fast...."

"SAG!" Danny screams angrily. "I am blessed to be back on my home planet, back on calm ass Earth where I don't gotta worry about Cluster invasions, for at least one more week. Please do not ruin this for me by being up in my space! Get out of my bedroom!"

I swallow hard. "I'm sorry—"

"You tarnished Frankie's career!" Danny accuses.

"That wasn't me! Isabelle framed him! I didn't mean for any of this—"

Danny moves blindingly fast, and I feel something firm hit the back of my head. He pushes me against the wall so hard that the back of my skull strikes the wall and vibrates. For a split second, I'd lost track of time. Danny's face is inches away from mine. His eyes are enormous, glassy, and almost black. He then quietly says in a threatening tone: "Touch my friends again, and I'll blind you."

My eyes are open the entire time tonight with constant thoughts about my dad being a criminal. A wanted man. An enemy against the universe. It puts a giant pit in my stomach. Everlasting and continuing. I train alone that following day, taking out all my frustration on a few punching bags and forbidden to use my genetic abilities. It's limiting because controlling my anger when thinking stressful thoughts drive me more insane.

Can I pull this off? Winning the tournament? The farther I venture, the closer I am to my other goal: saving my dad. Thinking about Abigail's favoritism doesn't help. I have no reason to doubt I'll be the final three with Justin and Cody. Like David Owens and my dad, Justin and I will experience the same rejection other warriors have faced because of nepotism. The judges must see something in me besides my genetic abilities. My brawl with Ryan, my skills surviving the Cluster, and I guess you can count my encounter with Frankie. This put together must paint the judges what kind of warrior I am: tough, willing to stay alive, and enthusiastic.

If I'm confident while still trying to be honest with myself, I picture myself who I can take in a fight. Cody and Justin would be a struggle, but I believe I can put up a good length. I almost laugh, picturing myself fighting Danny. Although he slammed me against the wall the other night because I let him, I know for a fact he wouldn't stand a chance against me if it came down to it. Then there's the elite team to worry about. Am I up to par to fight with them alongside? I use Ryan to compare. I wouldn't say we're neck and neck, but I think I'm at his heels.

I'm not sure if the judges feel the same way. I try and imagine, for a moment, what it must be like sitting behind that table. What words exchange when they deliberate? What kind of arguments do they deliver? I have no idea.

My theories turn out to be true when Kitty and Danny are bottom two at elimination. Not that they're unskillful warriors. They're just not up to par compared to who's left. Once Danny receives his Field Marshall ranking and joins the final four, Kitty is the twelfth one cut, and Danny's inevitable doom is sure on its way.