Chapter Twenty Four: Truth

The three of us ran to Professor Lockhart's office. He might be pathetic but he's the best choice and only choice we have. We were going to tell him everything we knew about the chamber and basilisk. When we burst into his office, the professor looked startled and whipped around.

          "Are you going somewhere?" Harry asked.

          Professor Lockhart continued to pack, "Urm, yes! Urgent business! Unavoidable!"

          Ron was angry, "What about my sister?!"

          He was stumbling over his words but confessed that he didn't actually do any of the things he claimed that he did. My blood boiled.

          "You liar. You're a fake and a fraud!" I yelled.

          He huffed but when Harry confronted him about whether or not he was good at anything, the professor got defensive. Professor Lockhart admitted he was gifted at memory charms, which is how he was able to get away with all of this. He turned his back on us and the 3 of us glanced at each other. We nodded and drew our wands on him while the professor drew his wand on us.

          "Don't even think about it," Harry threatened and gestured with his wand.

          The professor surrendered and dropped his wand. We forced him to the girl's bathroom and we saw Myrtle crying. I stayed with Ron to watch the professor so Harry could talk to her. Myrtle developed a bit of a crush on my brother. When he asked about her death, she said that she died in her stall. The last thing that she saw was a pair of enormous yellow eyes by the sink that never worked after she heard a boy talking funny. Harry and I went to the sink and we both touched a snake etched into the spout.

          "This is it. This is the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets," Harry whispered.

          "Go on, you two. Say something in parseltongue," Ron said.

         Harry and I took a deep breath in, "Open.

          The sinks began to move forward from their united column and the roof to the column floated up to the ceiling. One of the sinks went into the floor and it revealed a hole in the ground. We led the professor to the entrance and he looked into the hole. When he hesitated, Ron pushed him in with his wand. The professor cried out and we heard him land.

          "Really quite filthy down here," he yelled up.

          Myrtle offered to share her toilet with Harry if he dies down there. He thanked her and the 3 of us stood at the edge. Harry went in first and he was yelling. I took Ron's hand and we both jumped in together. It was the worst slide ride I have ever been on. We were both screaming as it spiralled us further down. Harry landed in front of us and his momentum made him fall forward when his feet hit the bottom. Ron and I slid too high and we fell together. I fell on my stomach and Ron landed on his stomach on top of me.

          "Oh, I'm sorry, Ive!" he exclaimed and pulled me up.

          I looked in horror at what we landed on. We were all standing on bones of animals that I couldn't recognize. Harry reminded us to close our eyes if we saw any movement. Harry led the way and Ron and I stood behind Professor Lockhart as he followed Harry. I held Ron's hand and we walked deeper into the chamber.