Chapter 22

It all happened so fast.

Y/N felt a ringing in her ears. She heard the gunshot, but where was the pain? Was adrenaline keeping her from feeling anything?

"Y/N!" A young voice shouted her name and she whipped her head to the side, eyes growing wide at the sight.

Levi stood with a gun trained onto Jeff the killer. His skin was pale and his breathing was uneven. Y/N felt her chest flutter with relief but realized that there could possibly still be a gun aimed at her head.

Switching her attention to Jeff, she watched as he released the gun and grabbed his wounded arm with his hand.

Jeff hissed, his wide, insane eyes flickering to Levi, "you little shit. You're going to pay for that-!"

Kagekao appeared behind the other killer and quickly knocked the side of his head harshly, halting all of his movements. He crumpled to the ground moments later. All was peaceful now...except for the presence of the two conscious killers.

Racing between Masky and Kagekao, Y/N quickly embraced the young boy who now had lowered his hand, the two of them stumbled back, mostly because Levi wasn't expecting the hurried embrace from his female friend.

"You're okay..." Y/N breathed out a sigh of relief as Levi's lips twitched upwards in a small smile, "that's a relief."

Levi watched closely at Kagekao and Masky behind them and nudged at the H/C-haired girl. Y/N released him and he pointed the gun at the brunette who only stared in return.

"Why didn't you help him?" He questioned Masky with an unfamiliar sense of authority in his voice. Kagekao hauled Jeff onto his shoulder and bent his knees as he did so.

The other shrugged, looking away from the two survivors, "he wanted to kill her. That wasn't what we were sent here for."

"Then... What were you sent here for?" Levi questioned again. Y/N watched him with a slight furrow in her brows and she swallowed with unease.

"Listen, kid. If you don't want to die you should avoid asking questions like those." Masky responded with an aggressive tone, stepping backward where the thick forest ended and started thinning out. Kagekao moved over to him and Levi switched to the other mask-wearing killer.

Y/N sighed and placed a hand on the boy's hand which he held the gun in. Levi glanced up at her with a perplexed look, but he read her expression and lowered his arm. Masky nodded and the two (three if you count Jeff) left the contestants alone. The contestants watched them with unease, Levi even more so than Y/N.

Immediately, the H/C haired woman turned to the small boy, "I- we- I'm sorry!"

Her hands were placed on his shoulders and she lowered her head, not wanting to meet his eyes. Staring silently at Y/N. he tilted his head in wonder.

"Why? He was going to hurt you...so of course, I'd-"

"No!" Her grip tightened on his shoulders, the fabric of his shirt bunched around her hands. Levi stared onward a moment longer before looking over to his right and sighed.

"You...did leave me... I know," he spoke softly, "but he told me it was to protect me."

He? The girl thought, lifting her head only a small bit. Levi seemed to read her mind.

"Uh...this man with a blue mask. He said that you guys ran so I wouldn't get hurt."

"Jack?" She had met his eyes now.

Levi nodded quickly, a smile appearing on his face, "you tried to protect me so many times, so I had to return the favor!"

Dumbfounded, Y/N searched Levi's heterochromatic eyes which swirled with giddiness. Placing her hands on the younger contestant's cheeks, she could feel his slightly grimy and cold skin. It was real. He was real. Y/N let out a breathy laugh and sat back on her heels, releasing Levi's face.