.07.

I stood barefoot in the ring. Looking up revealed a beautiful, open, blue sky. I didn't want to take my eyes away from it. 60 years. That's how long it's been since I've been able to look at the sky, aside from the few days I'd been in the Night Court. I allowed my wings to show again, let them stretch out far.

"What the hell?" Cassian breathed, his footsteps halting a few paces behind me.

I peeled my eyes away from the sky and turned toward him. "Rhys says he thinks my real mother was Illyrian. He says that's why I can make them come and go as I please."

"Can you fly?" He circled me.

"No. No one ever taught me and my parents were ashamed of me so they made me hide my wings nearly all the time."

His face dropped, "would you like to learn how to fly?"

I nodded, "if you think you can teach me. I'm sure it's significantly different than teaching a child who has no fear or concept of physics."

"It will be. Azriel might be a better teacher for you. He didn't learn to fly until he was eleven. He knows what it's like to learn later than the rest of us."

I stiffened ever so slightly at the mention of Azriel. "Let's work on this part, first," I gestured to myself and the space around us.

He cocked his head at an angle but nodded, "what do you know?"

"I do not know," I laughed lightly. "I was never taught to fight. I've been working as a waitress for my whole life. Even when Amarantha stole me away, she threw iron chains around my neck and wrists and continued to make me serve. So if I'm being really honest, I know how to carry a heavy platter. That's about it, though."

He nodded, "we'll get you where you need to be. Have you ever used any kind of weapon?"

"I've carried a dagger before, but to say I've used it would be a lie."

"Okay, we'll start from the very basics then."

We started with stretches to loosen up my muscles. He went through proper body mechanics and postures as he taught me how to stand and where to distribute my weight when throwing punches or kicking. We took several water breaks and he didn't push me too hard.

"How long has it been since you've had a real meal? Or, for that matter, three meals in one day?" He questioned as he assisted me into proper positioning as I mimed a punch.

I thought about it for a moment. "I was with Amarantha for 60 years. During that time, I ate maybe a quarter loaf of bread a day. If I was lucky I'd have more than a few ounces of water. When I travelled with Rhys to his house above the Court of Nightmares just a few days ago, that's when I had more than bread. I think I ate a few pieces of fruit. I've been trying to take it slow, I know I'll get sick if I try to eat three full meals in one day so soon after eating hardly anything for so long."

He nodded, "we'll work on that, too. Easing you back in to everything. It'll take time, patience is key," he smiled lightly. "Show me what you've got to work with, magic wise."

I stepped back a few paces just to be safe. I started by conjuring fire in my palm. Made it grow and shrink. Then turned it into a few foxes and let them run circles around me, the orange embers trailing behind. When I was finished exhibiting those, I turned them into broken embers that floated toward the sky. The next part I gave myself plenty of room for. My hand turned to paws and the rest of me followed through with my bear form. I sat in that for a few moments before shifting into my cat form, and finally back to my human form.

"I can heal, too," I added at the very end.

"Rhys was right, you are a badass," Cass looked stunned.

My eyes connected with hazel ones across the room. Instead of looking at Cassian, I noticed Azriel watching from a distance. Once we'd made eye contact, he decided to step out of the shadows.

"How's it going?" He turned to Cassian.

"Pretty well, if you ask me. Cecelia here needs to get some proper nutrition started. Having starved for six decades doesn't help her case much."

"Um, you guys can call me Lia," I noted, twisting my foot and looking down at my fingers as they tangled together.

"That's really pretty," Azriel commented and I thought I would have a heart attack right then and there.

You're really pretty, is what I wanted to say. I restrained myself, though.

"It seems like it's lunch time," he continued. "Why don't we head on out to the dining room and eat a bit?"

I nodded. Cassian held out an arm as if to block me from moving, "Stretch first, you don't want your muscles refusing to cooperate later."

"Fair enough," I dropped to a split and stretched forward and backward before continuing on through the motions he had taught me earlier in the day.

Once I'd finished the set, he helped me up and we all walked out of the training area and to the table in the dining room. Food appeared in the center along with three empty plates. Cassian loaded my plate with what he thought was a reasonable amount of food. I stared wide eyed at the intimidating pile before me.

"Eat what you can, don't push yourself," he nudged me before filling up his own plate.

Azriel sat directly across from me and ate slowly, stealing glances every now and then. It was an effort to keep the scarlet blush from creeping up onto my cheeks. I worked on my plate, consuming roughly three quarters of it before I had to throw in the towel. Luckily, drinking water didn't seem to fill me up, so I had another glass and a half of that before I leaned back in my chair and shut my eyes for a moment. I think I drifted off, though, because the next thing I remember, under my head was a comfortable pillow and cool sheets were pulled up to my shoulders. I fell back asleep rather quickly, the sandman awaiting my visit.