Nineteen

Getting to Kaname, I found him and Hayato disagreeing on something. Rei was standing to the side, keeping her mouth shut. I have no doubt Kaname knew this was going to happen and asked her to keep quiet. Rei seemed to be having a good time with Seiren, and she seemed to be talking to Maria a bit too.

"Hey! You! Level D! Get over here and settle this! Who would you rather listen to! A Level A with an attitude or someone who actually knows how to be human?"

"You don't have to answer that, Erika. You wouldn't want to upset this creature."

"Creature?!"

I shook my head. "Lord Kaname, please. Don't be insulting your own kind. Everyone here knows your in control, but that doesn't mean there aren't other Purebloods out there." I turned to Hayato. "But, there is a hierarchy to this school. The school itself belongs to the Kuran clan, and directly belongs to Lord Kaname. He is in charge so if you want to stay at this school, you'll have to listen to him."

"And if I don't want to?"

"I don't like it either, but we sort of don't have a choice. This school is filled with all sorts of types and there are definitely people here who have their ways of killing purebloods."

"I bet you just stay for your boyfriend..."

"Are all Hio clan vampires like this? Look, Lord Hayami, Lord Kaname is in charge at this school. Of vampires and humans. He's been good at it so far, so don't question him and you don't get hurt. You don't have to like him. You don't even have to like listening to him or his choices, but everyone here can tell you that Kaname always does the right thing. And if you want Rei to stay safe, I suggest you continue to listen to him. I mean, you must trust him somewhat to leave her here with him."

He scoffed. "I hate that you're right. Fine."

"What did he want you to do anyway?"

"I wouldn't let him go into town for a snack."

I shoved a box into his hands. "Special blood pills for purebloods. It'll stop your thirst pretty fast. I know you've got a history of going level E..."

Akatsuki grabbed me. "Slow down. Hayato's been pretty good with keeping up with us. You don't need to stoop that low."

"You can go against Lord Kaname, not me."

Hayato scoffed. "You don't need to protect me, Kain. I can deal with this girl myself. And I can certainly deal with Kaname Kuran myself."

He backed off. "Don't be rude to someone who's trying to help you. You're not going to get a lot of that here. The Kuran clan has a bad history with the Hio family, so I suggest you take what you can get. Not a lot of vampires here are going to be kind to you."

"Rei will."

Hanabusa spoke up. "Isn't Rei your niece? Wouldn't she rather side with her direct family? Besides, didn't you kill her mother? I don't think that's really something you should be using as a crutch. I'm surprised Akatsuki is even being nice to you. Honestly, I think Lord Kaname should kick you out."

"Yeah, you can go out into the cold and die for all we care." Ruka spoke up. Everyone turned to her. "What? I can't have feelings about this?"

Kaname cleared his throat. "I was told something once. Family is family, no matter how you feel about them. And you never fail your family. I might not like it, but Hayato is family and he deserves to be protected too. This is a safe space. He's a bit emotional, but he's a good man deep down. That's enough said."

"Right, you wanted to speak with me, Lord Kaname?"

"I was going to have you show Rei around more, but if you believe that Hayato won't make any friends, I think you should do it."