Chapter 6

I'd never seen a town before.

Sure, I'd heard humans talking about them, and, when I asked Maisie, she explained as best she could, but that was nothing compared to actually seeing it.

There were thousands of lights, coming from windows, lampposts, cars, signs and all manner of other things. Cars and trucks roared up and down roads, their headlights adding to the many other lights the town made. 

There was also so many smells. I didn't know so many smells existed, let alone all together like this. My nose was barely handling the assault on it, and we were still a mile away.

Me and the group had rounded a bend in the road and now were looking upon the town below us, Owen on my right, and Claire and Zia were on my left. Franklin was crouching next to a bush on my right, giving me quick glances and muttering in a slightly frightened tone. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the wonder of human engineering in front of me.

This town was probably small compared to others, but to me, it was big. I'd never seen so many structures so close together, let alone so many vehicles. Through all the overloads on my senses, I managed to see that there weren't many cars on the roads, and that a lot of the buildings were dark. I also heard lots of people breathing deeply, which meant that most of the town was asleep. Which made sense, since midnight wasn't too long ago.

During the trip here, Zia had tried to ask me questions, but I had already spoken enough English for one day, so I simply ignored her. After a bit, Zia had given up, which I was thankful for. I didn't need her consistent jabbering right now. I was too busy admiring the town.

Owen broke the silence. "Okay, my cabin is about 150 miles from this town, so we need a car. I am planning on stealing one-"

"Nope!" Franklin cut in. "Nope, nope nope. Are you serious right now? Are you looking  for more reasons to get us arrested? I want to stay as much as possible on the law's good side, and stealing a car is the opposite way to do that!!"

"Well, how else are we supposed to get to my cabin?" Owen hissed back. 

"Who says I was going with you?" Franklin nearly shouted, standing up and glaring at Owen. "I'm just a computer geek! I-"

"Franklin!" Claire interrupted from my other side. I repressed a hiss at how loud they were being. "I don't like this either, but it is either this or get arrested. Besides, I said I was going to Owen's cabin, and I'm not changing my mind."

I smiled as Claire wrapped up her little speech. "So let's decide here and now. Who is going with Owen?"

Silence for a moment, until Franklin spoke. "Fine, I'll go with you." I nodded, showing my agreement. 

"I'm coming with you," said Zia when Claire turned to her. Claire nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Okay then." She turned to Owen. "So, are we going?" 

"Yup," Owen replied. "Quiet, everyone. Most people are asleep, but there are always the night owls. Watch for headlights and follow me."

We moved down the hill and cautiously entered the town, the humans making their 'stealthy' racket as my shadowy form slipped through the darkness like a wraith. We crept into an area with lots of dark houses, which I guessed was a 'residential' area from Maisie's description. 

Block after block went by without incident as we moved though them, looking for a suitable vehicle to hijack. Well, most of us were. Maisie was still asleep in my arms, snuggled up to my chest. I smiled as she moved a little in her sleep. She was the kindest, friendliest, sweetest human I had ever known. She possessed an innocence that few adults carried, and I hoped she would never change.