Chapter 5

After following my nose, I found Benjamin's room at the very top of the mansion. The door was unlocked, and I entered with ease.

The man laid there, his face frozen in a peaceful expression, a slight smile forever evident. I smiled as I approached the bed, my claws clicking on the wooden floor. The machine next to him made a low, constant tone and the lines displayed on its screen were still. This man was definitely dead. 

I made a soft rumble as I walked up to Benjamin's right. When I was right next to his bed, I leaned my head in to gather his scent. I smelled something that I assumed to be aftershave, but under that was the smell of age, along with kindness and happiness. This man may have been crippled and bedridden at the end of his life, but he hadn't let that dampen his spirits. 

I didn't need to say anything. No one would hear me. So I simply nuzzled his cheek before turning away, noticing the phone lying on the table. The very same phone that had bore witness to the murder that had occurred in this room. I remembered what Benjamin had told Mills to do with the phone, and I wanted to make sure that Benjamin's body would be taken care of.

I also wanted to see Mills' face as he was thrown in the back of a police car, though something told me my revenge had already been exacted.

I pushed the feeling aside for now, and picked up the phone, my large, unwieldly claws leaving scratches in the cheap material the humans called plastic. Luckily for me, it was an older version, so it had actual buttons I could press instead of images on a screen. I looked at the little screen on the phone, peering at the words displayed:

LINE 4

CONNECTED

I knew these words meant something, but I didn't bother to figure out what. The phone should work just fine, and I had something to do. It was the least I could do for Benjamin.

I pressed a few buttons, and after a few minutes of poking around, I managed to discover how to get to the list of numbers stored on the device. I browsed through, looking for anything familiar. 

After a few moments of listening to the beeps produced when I pressed a button, I found something interesting.

Dr. Henry Wu's phone number.

I chuckled as I imagined him getting a call from his own creation, and the face he would have if I did such a thing. I was tempted to hit the green button, but I knew it was too risky. Phone calls were traceable, and they could be altered and edited to one's advantage. 

You are probably asking: How do I know so much about humans and their technology? Two reasons. First, my own eyes and ears. It's amazing how much one could learn by simply observing. Second, Maisie's knowledge. I would often ask her questions about things I didn't understand in my observations, and Maisie would answer the best she could. 

I memorized Henry's phone number and exited the phone's menu, returning to my original task. I mentally prepared myself for the amount of English I would be speaking. My mouth and throat would ache next morning, but it was worth it if I could make sure Benjamin was taken care of, and it would be an extra bonus if I could take down the company that had made me. 

Taking a deep breath, I pressed the required keys to summon human assistance. The number was only three characters long, and was very easy to remember, which I believed was intentional. Still, I hesitated for a moment, my right thumb's claw hovering over the green button. I had no idea how this conversation would go, as I had never spoken on such a device to someone before, but I had a semi-plan as to how this would go. I had overheard a human call this number before, when Benjamin had suffered from a heart attack, so I had a good idea on what to say. If things went south, I could always hang up.