Chapter 13 - Lost and Found

Las Vegas Convention Center
Las Vegas
June 13
2115 hours

I ran from hallway to hallway in the massive complex. But, I couldn't find him. After exhausting the places in the convention center, I circled the block outside, starting from the bridge where I last saw him. Eventually, I found myself on the strip again.

Feeling the comfort of anonymity in a sea of strangers, I sat down on the edge of the sidewalk next to some plants, and caught my breath. I felt a surge of emotions. Anger at myself for losing Murray so easily. And, fear. Lots of fear. I didn't have time in the moment to process what really happened on the platform, but now that I paused it came rushing back in. My hands wouldn't stop shaking. I think this was partly from the adrenaline of chasing after Murray, and partly from the realization that I had almost died. Again.

The strangers that passed by me gawked, which made me feel uncomfortable. I could tell I looked pretty disheveled. It wasn't too unusual to see kids in Vegas, but it was weird to see one sitting on the sidewalk on the verge of tears. A few mistook me for someone asking for spare change, and threw me some chips they had won in a casino.

Someone said, "That kid must have lost a lot of money playing roulette."

With few options left, I stood up and walked back to our motel. I stayed on the strip to be around crowds, warily keeping an eye out for Murray. I chose not to use the monorail, even though it would have been much faster. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to stand on a train platform again after today.

It was not an easy walk back. I almost walked right into traffic a few times because I was lost in thought. It also took me a while, since I was shuffling more than walking. I didn't get to the motel until close to ten at night.

My hands were still trembling when I twisted the knob to my room. I opened the door, not really expecting to find anyone, assuming they were doing their own investigating, but instead, they were huddled together in the room. Some were sitting on the beds and the others were pacing. Even Cyrus was waiting there.

"Ben!" Erica was the first to see me and rushed over to me, enveloping me in a hug. I felt my hands gradually stop trembling.

Then she shoved me.

"What were you thinking going off on your own like that? What were you doing? Where did you go? What happened to you," she asked.

"Erica, give him a chance to answer," Zoe said.

I took a deep breath and almost choked on the words, but eventually said, "I ended up back at the convention center, just trying to think what we should go next. After wandering around, I went to the monorail station to come here. I was just waiting for the train when the doors suddenly opened. Someone was standing behind me and shoved me out on to the track."

At this point, Erica was so angry that she grabbed a random pillow off the bed and tore in half. Stuffing flew up into the air and it slowly floated to the ground.

"That was mine," Chip said, picking up the pieces.

I continued with my story, "I managed to get out of the way of the train, and get back to the platform. I saw Murray waving to me on the escalator."

Erica punched the wall, and Zoe led her to the bed making sure she didn't tear apart the room. I was pretty sure she was mad at Murray, but I may have taken a step back.

While she rubbed her raw knuckles, I continued, "I chased after him and lost him a few times. Eventually, he ran into the convention center and that's where I lost him completely. I spent the last hour searching around the convention center but never saw him again. I don't understand how he found me."