Chapter 10 - Science Convention

Las Vegas Convention Center
Las Vegas
June 13
1000 hours

I expected a lot of trouble coming to Las Vegas. After all, we were there to track down my nemesis, and two other leaders of evil organizations if we were lucky. They would certainly have had guards to protect them, maybe even tried to trap us in the process. Worst of all, they may have tried to kill us. However, I didn't anticipate one thing.

Mean nerds.

I have nothing against nerds. In truth, I am one. And, most of the kids at the convention were really nice. They were super excited just to be there to begin with, and they also really loved science. So they were enthusiastic about all the cool experiments the different schools were showing off, asking questions and being supportive.

However, there was a competition for the best project at the convention. You had to voluntarily enter it. It turned out the mistake in the paperwork Cyrus had referred to, was that he accidentally checked the box on our application form, and now we were forced to show up to the convention and present our project to the judges. Chip had suggested just ditching it, but we didn't want to arouse too much suspicion about our presence there. Not that Murray would necessarily be paying attention to a middle school science fair, but the fewer questions the better. We didn't want to find security tracking us down or asking about a group of strange students.

And, the kids that entered this part of the convention were highly competitive. They spent the day walking from table to table sizing up their rival's inventions, and weren't very kind about ones they thought were 'pathetic' or 'barely even science.' So, It didn't take long before they scoped out Jawa's invention.

We were sitting around, each distracted by something. Erica, as usual, had adopted a new persona. She was smacking gum and scrolling through her phone while blowing bubbles, her leg bouncing impatiently. Jawa was eagerly explaining his invention to Zoe, nervous about the judges. I think Chip was asleep, and Mike was pacing back and forth along the back wall of our booth, hopeful for any kind of action.

It didn't take long before four uniformed boys began to approach our table. I noticed that the apparent leader of this group was the same tall brown-haired kid that had glared at me while I was exploring the convention hall. Apparently, he recognized my school uniform, and realized I was in part of the competition. He may have even followed me back to our booth.

While our uniforms were old, and ill-fitting, these boys' uniforms were modern, clean cut, and probably tailored. We made for an odd contrast. Mostly, because, with the exception of Jawa, we couldn't care less about the competition.

"So, this is what you brought," the tall boy sneered in a nasally tone, eyeing the robot on the table.

"Yes, I'd be happy to show it to you," Jawa said, misinterpreting why they were there.

Erica didn't look up, but I'm pretty sure that her eyes had darted upwards to evaluate the threat. Since she didn't move, I assume she had decided they were not worthy of her time. Mike, however, recognized the type, just like I had, and came over to support Jawa. Zoe also tensed, and stood up. None of us wanted any trouble, which would draw unwanted attention, but we weren't going to stand by and let Jawa be harassed by these bullies.

"As you can see, it is a automated robot that can be used for bomb defusal," Jawa continued.

I didn't think the tall boy could look any more unimpressed than he had been when he walked up, but he managed to. Instead of looking at the actual robot, he merely studied all of us through dropping eyelids. I thought he might yawn.

"Don't they already have that," he asked after a moment. "I mean, I thought we were supposed to create something original." The other boys chuckled, as if on cue.