27|

Chapter 27 - Harmony

After Hope's sentencing, I follow Alec back to the headquarters. 'Alec, I need to talk to you.'

He stops in his path and turns around. 'Go ahead.'

'In private.'

He motions me to follow him and brings me to a room. It's small and has no cameras. 'Alec. I want to know - want to know how my brother died.'

Alec's face turns pale. He quickly looks down, trying to hide his face, but I can see the flicker of emotions, but I can't exactly make out what they are. 'Raiden?' He stammers. 'Hope killed him. He stabbed your brother in the heart.'

'Alec, tell me the truth.' I say. 'Please.' I lean forward and grab his shoulders. I move my face closer to his. 'For me,' I whisper in his ear.

He looks at me in a confused way, as if he doesn't know what to do. 'Hope really killed Raiden. The knife had the same fingerprints as Hope's and he broke into the Limit that day.'

'Then why aren't there any clear pictures of his wounds?' Now I'm shouting at him. 'Why not? There were no close-up images.'

I don't know why I'm asking Alec. I guess its just because I cant shout at anyone else. He is the only one I can throw my anger out at. 'I - I don't know,' he stammers.

But I can see that he does. He certainly is hiding something from me; I can see that from his expression. He's hiding something, but I know it's hopeless to ask him what. He's not going to tell me. 'Okay then. Thanks for your time. See you later, Alec.' I wave at him and dart out of the room.

I walk over to my house. Now that I caught Hope, I'm free to roam around whenever I want to till my next mission.

I go home and up to my room. I try to process everything that has happened. Did Hope kill Raiden? What is Alec hiding from me?

I need to talk to commander Jacobs. After another quarter of an hour, I get up and run back to the headquarters. I need to find commander Jacobs.

I run through the building searching for her. I ask a few other soldiers but none of them have seen her.

Finally I find her in a deep converstation with a group of doctors and scientists. They're the ones who work in the laboratories. Soldiers and captains aren't even allowed to enter the laboratory. It's protected by a fingerprint scanner that only certain people can open. But these people seem to work there all the time, and no one knows what's in there.

I wonder what's in there. I've asked Alec and even my parents, but none of them know it either.

Commander Jacobs walks towards the laboratory with the men. She presses her thumb against the sensor and the door opens.

I hesitate for a moment then decide to follow her.