16|

Chapter 16 - Harmony

The boy and I sit together in an alley. Jess is sleeping a short distance away and the boy has given her his vest again. He's takes off his cap, for once, and weaves his slender fingers through his hair.

He's in a good mood. 'You want some?' He asks.

A bottle of margarita sits between us. He stole a case of bottles from the market and sold everything except this one for a total of 550 Units. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly he gets around the city. His agility is on par with the top students at SPM University.

I take a sip. It tastes sweet and contains nectar. 'So, why do you need so much money?' I decide to ask.

The boy laughs. 'Is that a serious question? Don't we all want more money? Can we ever have enough of it?'

'You like to answer my questions with your own questions, don't you?'

He laughs again. But when he speaks again his voice has a sad tinge to it. 'Money is the most important thing in life. Money can buy you happiness; I don't care what other people say. It'll buy you status, friends, safety and relief... all sorts of things.'

'You seem desperate to stock up quickly.' I say, trying to get something out of him.

He shoots me an amused look. Why shouldn't I be? You've probably lived in the streets for as long as I have, you should know the answer to that.'

'I guess so.' I say.

We sit in silence for a while. When the boy speaks again his voice is soft and tender. 'I don't know if anyone has told you this yet,' he says. His bright blue eyes stare straight at mine. He isn't blushing and his expression is relaxed, 'you're very attractive.'

I've been complimented on my appearance before. But not in this tone of voice. Of all the things he said, I don't know why this catches me off guard. I'm so startles that without thinking I blurt out, 'I could say the same about you.' I pause. 'In case you didn't know.'

'Oh, trust me. I know.'

I laugh. 'Nice to hear something honest.' I can't break away from his stare. Finally I add, 'I think you had too much margarita, my friend. A nice sleep will help you.'

The words have barely left my mouth when he leans forward and grabs my face. All my training would have me block this gesture. But I sit still and he pulls me to him. I take a breath before his lips touch mine.

I taste the wine on his lips. He kisses me softly at first, and then he pushes me against the wall and kisses me harder. His lips are soft and tender, and he has definitely kissed other girls before. His long hair brushes against my face. It takes me a while to realize that I'm kissing him just as hungrily. The taste of wine is in my mouth and I swallow it with difficulty.

He pulls away first, and we stare at each other in bewildered silence, as if none of us can grasp what exactly happened.

He leans against the wall beside me and sighs. 'Sorry,' he mutters. He looks at me mischievously and smirks, 'Couldn't help it.'