15|

Chapter 15 - Hope

I almost kissed the girl last night.

But there's nothing good out of falling for a girl in the streets. That's the worst weakness you can have when you're a criminal. Trapped near the city by emotions.

But this girl is different. She can point out a detail in the street a mile away. She can skewer a hot dog with one throw of her knife. I can see her intelligence in every question she asks and every observation she makes. Yet, there's an innocence in her that makes her different from other people. Years in the streets haven't broken her. Instead, they have made her stronger.

Like me.

Throughout the morning, we hunt for ways to get more money - pickpocketing naive soldiers, stealing food and foraging through the garbage for things we could resell.

The day lazes on and without knowing, evening approaches. Like yesterday, Jess uses my vest to lie on and falls asleep. I think of Royce and the money I need to collect for the plague cures. I don't have a long time left, and most of my hopes lie on the man who said he'd give me the plague cure. He briefed out the plan already and gave me the needed equipment. All I have to do is execute the plan. But soon enough, every time I glance at the Girl, my mind rushes back to thinking about her.