24

Mister Arlington and I woke around the same time and left shortly after. Though because of yesterday, I was nervous to ride in a car, which Mister Arlington could see.

He tapped lightly on the roof of the car, looking over the top at me. "This is only way back... unless you want to walk," he explained, opening the drivers' door and slipping in.

I hesitated, though I knew he was right. With a sigh, I opened the door and reluctantly slid inside.  Though once I was in the passengers' seat a deep growl emitted from my stomach, causing me to clutch at my abdomen in surprise and embarrassment. I turned to look at Mister Arlington, finding him ignoring me and my growling stomach.

"Sorry," I apologised, bowing my head slightly.

"We'll get some food before heading back."

"T-that's not necessary, i-in fact that's too risky."

"You don't have to eat then, but I will."

"Don't you t-think it's too early to be show-showing yourself around? I thought we had to lay l-low."

He turned to look at me, silence falling over us.

"S-sorry, I spoke out of li-line."

"Don't apologise," he turned to face the road ahead. "Never apologise because you worry for your safety."

I gave him a slight bob of my head, though I didn't say anything further. Mister Arlington took us to a quiet cafe where he ordered for the both of us.

"Good morning Mister Arlington." the waiter greeted, giving a slight nod in my direction as a gesture of acknowledgment.

He was a young boy around my age

As Mister Arlington spoke to the waiter I took note of his profile. He was a young boy, around my age I assumed. The way he presented himself towards Mister Arlington reminded me of myself, though with more emotional attachment.

Mister Arlington noticed me nervously surveying our surroundings once the boy had left, provoking him to say something as he seemed to dislike my uneasiness.

"It'll just be us for the next hour, so you don't have to be so sensitive," he nonchalantly informed.

"How do y-you know that?"

"This cafe may not seem like much but it only accepts bookings. Daniel, the young man who served us told me the next reservation time."

"Does he know who you are?"

"Not entirely."

"I can tell he has m-much respect for you, does he w-w-work in the... Business?"

He released a sigh, picking up a newspaper on the table that had been left by the young man.

"No, he's too young. I'll only accept men over the age of twenty five."

I thought that was the end of our conversation, seeing as he had opened the paper, covering his face and begun to read, so I was surprised when he continued to talk.

"His father died three years ago. He had worked for me for many years and died on a mission I had sent him and a few others on. They'd been ambushed, and like others who have died in my care, I make sure their family is supported. Which is how Daniel made it here."

I paused.

"How many?"

"What?"

"How many bodies do you have weighing on you?" It was a risky question, one that had Mister Arlington hesitating. With good reason, of course,  it wasn't a light question and it wasn't one I had expected him to answer.

"Enough for a girl like you to call me a monster," was all he said.

"A girl like me?"

"Normal."

Normal.

It was the first time I had been called normal after the incident that caused me to flee from my original house. Rather than having a positive affect on me, it made me feel... Frustrated. I wasn't normal, not a single bit. But I couldn't tell him that, could I. Even if I did, I doubt he would believe any of it, after all, I look normal in his eyes.

I remained quiet after his statement, my hands balling into fists under the table all while I maintained a nonchalant expression.

We didn't speak much after, eating our food in mild awkwardness until Mister Arlington decided it was time to leave. He bid the young waiter farewell, leaving a considerable tip as we took our leave.

~~~

The gravel driveway gave me enough of a sign that we were nearing our destination. I couldn't deny that I was nervous to see Mary, after all, she would have been worrying all night and day about our safety.

"Just let me do the talking when we get back, Mary will be frantic once she sees us," Mister Arlington informed.

He was right, of course. Before we had even stopped the car Mary ran out of the house and waited near the gate until Mister Arlington opened his door. She didn't hesitate to run towards him, wrapping him in a hug as if a worried mother.

I stood on the other side of the car watching their interaction as my chest ached, longing for such attention. I hated it. I hated that feeling. In fact, I hated all the emotions I had begun feeling since arriving here. Though small, it still annoyed me.

However, despite my opinion, I couldn't help but feel sad when I noticed Mary sobbing into Mister Arlington's chest as he tried to comfort her.

This was another new side I was seeing from Mister Arlington. Although he doesn't show how much he cares for Mary, I began to realise that he didn't need to. Because seeing him at this moment, rubbing her back as he held her close to him, they both knew regardless of how he might act towards her.