chapter twenty-eight

<>

The moment she set foot on the train station in Brussels was when her heart and everything she could see slowed down. As if it were all slow motion.

Iris, her private secretary, and tour coordinator, slightly gave her a push forward which made her snap out of her train of thought.

A little girl with flowers greeted her. "Welcome back to Brussels, Your Royal Highness." She curtsied.

"Oh, thank you very much!" She smiled sweetly. "Comment ça va? Très bien, mon cher?"

"Très très bien, Madame." The girl replied with enthusiasm.

A couple whom she gathered was the Prime Minister and her husband approached her, giving her a slight bow and curtsy.

"Welcome to Belgium, Your Royal Highness." The prime minister said.

Andra smiled and offered a handshake. "I'm glad to be back, Madam Prime Minister. Thank you very much for inviting me."

"Of course, Ma'am. This is my partner, Laurent."

The formalities lasted a while before they were on their way to Palais Royale to greet the King and Queen of the Belgians and members of the Royal Family.

Andra bit the insides of her mouth when the Palais Royale came into view. She felt as if there was something stuck in her throat. Her breath shortened.

"Are you alright, Ma'am?" Iris checked on her.

Andra blinked twice.

"Ma'am?" Iris' thick accent showed when she asked once again.

"Yes, I'm alright." Andra gave a soft smile. "I'm just nervous. I haven't seen them for quite a long time."

"You don't have to be nervous, Ma'am. I'm sure you'll do excellent."

Andra looked out of the window, and she let out an uneasy sigh. It wasn't a few minutes more when the door of the car was opened for her in front of Palais Royale. The Belgian Royal Family was standing near the entrance while there were people lined outside the gates, cheering.

Andra stepped out of the car with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. She was greeted by the King's aide with a bow.

"Welcome to Palais Royale, Your Royal Highness. This way, please." He led her up to where the Royal Family was.

"Welcome back to Belgium, Andra." The King greeted her with a warm smile.

"Thank you for having me, Your Majesty." The formality in her voice took them aback.

"It's so good to see you again, dear." Queen Mathilde said.

"It has, hasn't it, Your Majesty?"

"Well, we are deeply honoured to be part of your EU tour."

"Of course, you know everyone." The King gestured at his children.

"Yes, of course." For the first time in the whole conversation, Andra was not rehearsed. "You've all grown! It has been too long, hasn't it?"

"Welcome back, Andra!" Princess Elisabeth gave her a smile. "We've missed you."

"Oh, Eli. I've missed you four, too."

The King interrupted. "You must be exhausted from the train ride. How about we proceed inside and discuss your visit? So, you could rest early too."

"Yes, I would love that." Andra beamed.

"Andra, I think you should know that my sister and her family are waiting inside. They know it would've been a field day if they greeted you outside, so they asked to greet you privately. As an... old family friend." The King told her as they stepped inside the palace.