6- A game of pride.

~Joshua~

~Joshua~

Joshua was seated in his study, right leg hooked behind the left, utter silence filled the air except at the hands of the pendulum. He signed off on various contracts and documents that were delivered directly from his company to him. He rarely visited, despite being both, the owner and CEO of Gemstone Empire.

Joshua was sitting on a leather chair which was custom made. Expense is just something that tags along with everything that has anything to do with comfort. His study looked like something straight out of a fantasy movie.

Rows and rows of various books stacked neatly next to each other, almost as big as a public library.

Though out of character, Joshua was fond of reading.

He had barely slept last night because his insomnia was kicking in again. He thought he had gotten over it because life allowed him to sleep like a baby for the past few days but not for long. His situation kept getting worse everytime. He only had frightful echoes of his memories to find Meredith.

Every night, Joshua would wake up covered in sweat. Dreaming about things he could never comprehend. He was way more expressive in his dreams and it bothered him to a great extent. All the different emotions that he had seen himself go through and all the times he had met Meredith and it seemed real.

However, in the mirror is just a neutral blank face looking back at him.

Just as Joshua was viewing the last contract after he had read it a few times, being very cautious, he held his pen and signed.

He heard a soft knock on the door a few moments later.

           "Come in," he spoke. The door slid open, revealing Kier Smith, Joshua's bodyguard. Kier has been by his side for quite a while. The one thing Joshua learned throughout the years was that he could trust Keir with his past and the reality about himself.

           "We might have a problem boss," kier said, standing there like a robot although in casual clothes.

           "You're doing it again," Joshua mentioned.

           "Doing what?" he asked as he bit the inside of his cheek.

           "Calling me boss and standing there like an idiot," Joshua rolled his eyes slightly, signalling him to break free from that professional posture.

Kier snaked a hand through his neatly kept hair that fell over his slightly green eyes lined with wisps of black  and gave Joshua a wry smile before sitting down across him.

Joshua was still a kid when he found Keir in an awful situation. Beaten up, bruises on his back, one of his eyes swollen. Anyone could tell that he was being abused and that led him to label himself as a runaway child.