Three

"You didn't have to come with." You frowned, counting tomatoes. You jotted the number down on your clipboard, once again ignoring his clearly displeased form. It seemed best to let him stew, acknowledging his attitude only lead to tantrums. "I'm perfectly capable of keeping myself out of harms way."

"Absolutely not. If I let you trip and sprain your fucking ankle, Trafalgar will lose his damn mind." Kid flexed his gruesome prosthetic, pointing out to the rows of groceries inside the industrial fridge. "How long is this going to take? Looking at all this is making me hungry."

"We can stop for something quick to eat on the way home, in the meantime..." you picked up a green apple, tossing it over your shoulder to him. Eustass caught it with his flesh hand, watching as you took a bite from another before taking his own, large chomp. You swallowed and scribbled a new number down to accommodate your snack. "Who's Trafalgar?"

"Law." He answered with a mouthful. You hummed to show you were listening. Eustass ate loudly, as usual, but it didn't deter him from speaking. "So, what do you do for fun?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, three days and all you've done is sleep, work, and run errands." He took yet another massive bite. "I hardly even see you eat. You pick at your food, no wonder you're so fucking tiny."

"I've never had much of an appetite." You marked off the last of the list, spinning on your heel to pass him and walk out of the fridge. He followed lazily, sated by the edible offering. "And once upon a time, I used to be very fun."

"Yeah, once upon a time I was alive, too." You looked over curiously just to watch him crunch the core, making you crinkle your nose in disgust. You promptly looked away and kept walking towards the kitchen. It wasn't far, and Eustass hopped up on the counter next to one of the many stoves. "What kind of fun were you? Like, read seven books in one sitting fun? Or..."

He trailed off with a opened handed gesture.

You decided not to take his sudden friendliness for granted.

"There isn't a bar in Grand Line that doesn't know my name, kind of fun." Your uninterested answer made him laugh. It was heavy and boisterous, and it made a small smile come to your lips. So carefree, honest. "You sound like you don't believe me."

"Fuck no!" He was grinning, ear to ear. His maroon lips made it stand out even more on his pale skin, and the scars on his face only made him look that much more handsome. You guessed it was just a demonic trait, a lure of sorts. "A girl as small as you? Bar hopping and drinking her liver out? HA! I can't even see you at a party, let alone leading one."

"Yeah." You agreed absently, leaning against the opposite counter. You looked up to him with your light smile, if you could even call it that. It was hardly a turn if the lips.

"I like that." Eustass pointed his human hand at you, waving his finger in your direction. His grin never faded. "I like when you act human. Makes me feel like I'm babysitting something other than the Terminator."

"___?"

Your smile fell, looking past Eustass to a clearly very surprised Sanji. He stood a little awkwardly, a basket on one arm and a bottle of wine in the other. A woman you'd never seen before stood just to her side, hair a bright orange and clothes a little thin for the current stormy season.

"Sanji." Your voice had lost its open and friendly tone, and you didn't notice it was there until it was gone. "What are you doing here, it's Sunday."

"Me? What are you doing here?"

"It's... inventory day." You lifted the clipboard, making his face flush in embarrassment. You nodded discreetly towards his acquaintance. "Who's your friend?"