Eight

A loud and disgruntled sigh passed your lips as you flashed into existence within your apartment walls. Trashed. Your apartment was trashed.

The wall still held a scratched in and blood smeared sigil, bits of drywall scattered on the carpet. The door was the same, but the ceramic material didn't chip- just the paint. That too was on the floor, and the shattered lamp from where Law dragged you over the couch was still where you left it. Not to mention the dirty dishes that had been neglected in the sink, you were fairly certain a new species of flora was blooming in there.

"Geez." Was all you could muster, a disgruntled feeling rustling in your chest. "This place is gross."

"Get changed, worry about it later." Eustass grumbled, looking very unhappy. Which was strange, because moments ago he was laughing at your parrot jokes. Regardless, you were ushered out from his coat and pushed towards your bedroom, the lingering warmth of his flesh hand leaving an imprint on the small of your back. "You need to be back on the Victoria Punk within twenty-four hours."

"Why the time stamp?" You called over your shoulder, already halfway into your closet.

"Killers wet kiss wears off, it's a temporary bond." He answered, voice raised just enough to be heard. It was deep and resounding, so it carried farther with less effort. "Only place you'll be safe is on our ship. Your presence is hidden there."

"Can't he just kiss me again?"

"He can't just pop into the reunion like a fucking magician."

"He could. Luffy would totally love that."

"It's out of the question. We're risking too much exposure as it is."

"Why don't you just kiss me then?"

A thick bump ripped itself out of the disc in his chest and lodged directly in his jugular, stopping him from taking a much needed inhale and turning his face a color that he couldn't see- but felt awful warm. It was a strange feeling.

And an unwelcome one.

"I can't." He managed to get out, short and simple. An answer to your secretly agonizing question. "Are you fucking done yet? Im sick of standing here."

"Yeah." You appeared out of the hallway, dressed in a floral shirt that was buttoned all the way up to hide your burn. On your legs was a pair of tight jeans, a go-bag slung over your shoulder. You paused only a few steps in, taking note of the demons unusual skin tone. "Are you okay? You look off."

"Just tell me you don't drive one of those tiny mom-cars."

"I don't." You snorted, waving him on. "It's parked in the garage."

The walk to the garage was a short one, and Eustass zapped himself some more human clothes before leaving. Now he wore a nice maroon colored turtleneck that seemed to stick directly to his muscles, and replaced the weird spotted pants with some regular black jeans. He kept the fur coat, however, and it draped over his mechanical side like a curtain of death.

"Ta-da...." You drawled lamely, gesturing to the beige Jeep Wrangler. "Hope you can drive, I hate this thing."

Eustass hesitated, but answered with a curt, "Yeah."

It struck you then, that the last time he'd probably driven was the day he died. In which he'd killed not only himself, but his best friend as well.

"Kidd, if you don't want-"

"Just get in the car." He snapped, nearly ripping the drivers side open. You shut your mouth and did so, hurrying around the front to take a seat in the passengers side. You both slammed the doors shut in unison, and before you could buckle he'd started the engine and began the thirty minute drive to Pop's house.