Part thirteen

Tarquin had not been High Lord when she entered the mountain, that much had been certain. But after the brutal murder of his cousin he had no choice to take control. 

He was still learning the ways of the Court. Still learning all the little laws and rules that kept everyone happy. Many days Keena found him in the small office he refused to clear out of his schooling books. 

The door had been open on the first day she found him. His head in his heads as he rubbed the headache forming at his temples. She knew how it was, she had seem Rhys in the same position on multiple night with the unrest in the camps while she was unable to sleep. He would talk to her about the problems, taking any suggestions into consideration as she spent much of her own time there. 

She hadn't meant to interrupt his thinking. She had only been walking past Tarquin's office on the way to the garden, but he had sensed her immediately. 

"Keena, are you going to the gardens?" His voice was soft, soothing.

"I wanted to feel the sun on my skin." She replied softly. After years of not using her voice it hurt to speak, most of the time she would uncontrollably cough from the dryness of her throat.

"Would you like some company?" She had intended to be alone, the maids were constantly around her, fussing about whether she had eaten or bathed. But she couldn't refuse him, not when he had so graciously saved her. 

"I would love some." She fought to keep the wince from her face as the chair scratched against the stoned floor. 

They had spent the entire afternoon walking around the grounds. Quietly talking about anything other than the mountain. She wasn't ready, nor did she think she would ever be. Which he understood, not pushing any topic after her polite dismissal. 

He told her of the problems he was facing. Telling her he needed a woman's view, someone who wasn't imprinted with war. If only he knew. 

She gave her thoughts, wording them as she'd been taught in any compromising situation. 

She had to fight the urge to kneel on the ground and release her powers that were straining under her skin. She wanted to use them, but all she felt was the phantom weights of the shackles that had prevented her from doing so. 

They had grown closer in her time in Court. Many days she sat in the corner of his office while he worked, reading books she had borrowed from the library. Neither breached topics that were brought up in the meetings. Very few dared to ask about the Mountain, the topic had become forbidden throughout Prythian, an unsaid agreement. 

"Keena." Her head jerked away from the book at the sound of her name. 

"Was I in my head again?" He lightly nodded his head. It was occurring more often, since the events. 

"Do you wish to talk about it?"

"I'm fine. The history of your family is just so engaging. The power of your Court moved between your family so fluidly. Many of the other High Lords know from birth whether they will receive the power, but without heirs yours could go to anyone in the event of your death." 

"Are you secretly planning my assassination, is that how you repay my kindness?" He teased.

"Of course not. I would never tell you if it were the case." He let out a rough laugh, something that reminded her so much of her father. In the two weeks she had been in the Summer Court she had fought against thinking of her family. It would make her want to return, and she wasn't ready for that. To face them.

And just like that she had shifted the topic she hadn't wanted to think about. 

"Are you ready for dinner? Cresseida has news of the other Courts she has been needing to share with me." He had decided not to hide any of the Courtly matters from her, he trusted her to keep them to herself. And he appreciated her opinions.

"We shouldn't keep her waiting any longer than necessary." Her eyes flicked down to his shirt. "Are you going to change" 

He opened his mouth to argue before his eyes could the winkles lining the clothing. Without warning he slipped the shirt off and hung it over the back of his chair.

Keena slapped her hand over her eyes before turning to face the wall. 

"I don't know if I should be offended that you don't even want a peak." He teased. "I'm decent, you can look." She hesitantly removed her hand to see him in front of her with a shirt she hadn't even seen in the room. 

"I would like some warning before you unclothe next time. Preferably so I can leave the room entirely." She said stiffly.

"Are you saying there will be another situation where I will be unclothing myself in your presence?" She tried to hide the wince caused by his words. She had thought she was getting better, the playful banter they shared was helping her grow comfortable around others again. 
"Sorry," he amended quickly, realising her shift. "I should have thought," he began to trail off. He had been so careful with her whenever they spoke, treating her like,

"Glass. Don't treat me like I'm going to break at the mention. It just makes it all the worse."

"Keena." He grew serious, "if you ever need to talk to someone."

"I know," she cut him off, "you're here for me. I just want to forget, so let's go to dinner, listen to whatever Cresseida has to say and pretend for a moment that all is well." He blinked at the authority in her tone. Not even Varian nor Cresseida dared to speak to him, not now he was their High Lord. And if it had been anyone else, they would have been punished and put in their place as called for by the laws. But there was something about Keena, all that she had gone through, that made his heart soften for her. He was her protector. 

(A.N. Sorry it's been a while. Apparently I have midterms next week, I swear I only just got my last results back. I have also changed my major again, science is not for me. Props to everyone able to understand chemistry because I am failing.

Hope everyone is having a good week.)