Part eleven

Keena had won.

An unsurprising fact when looking at the work she had put in to earn her place in the camps. The fight had ended hours into the day, the sun's heat shining down on the bare backs as they fought. 

Keena had managed to strip off a layer of her leathers so she was left in a tight vest that she wore under the leathers as extra protection. She felt Killian's gaze fleeting from their blades multiple times throughout the fight to the scars that littered her arms from previous training. Unlike most fae, her healing ability wasn't as strong. Leaving scars from every scratch of the skin. 

"I let you win," Marshall smiled as he sheathed his sword back at his side. She hummed a response as she poured the cooling water over her muddied hands. 

"Of course. My losing streak was really starting to break my ego," Killian choked a laugh after being sent a playful glare. 

"I have to go on patrol, I can't stand around playing games anymore." 

Keena turned back to Killian who was slipping a shirt back over his head. Her breath stopped momentarily, the dark three star tattoo peaking out from his waistband. She had a similar one one her ribs, on the skin that was usually covered by her clothing. She hadn't realised she was staring, her mind wandering to the day they had gotten them done. 

"Kil, do you think I'll be allowed the Illyrian tattoos when I complete the Rite?"

"Girls can't complete the Rite, Keena?" Marshall sneered from the darkness of the trees. It had been Keena's idea to wander into the woods, needing a release of the power that grew inside of her. The boys hadn't wanted her to go alone. Fearing the wrath of her father, shadowmaster and the High Lord. Not to mention the beating they'd receive from Lord Devlon if anything happened to her under his jurisdiction.

"I will when I'm older, and I'll make it to the top of the mountain." Killian moved closer to her on the boulder, using his wings to shield them from the strong winds. 

"I have no doubt that you'll be the first to the top, even without your power." She turned to the younger with an appreciative smile. "We can have our own warrior markings. I've seen my father get them, I know where to get the supplies. Come to my tent after the final patrol leaves." She nodded with a content smile on her face.

There weren't many youngling their age to train with, but the Killian had been the only one to accept her. Even despite the glares he'd receive from his father and the countless lashings in the privacy of their tent. 

It hadn't been a simple tattoo. Three stars. A promise. A vow

They were stuck together, for as long as the marking was set upon their skin. 

"Like what you see?" Killian teased, seeing her obvious ogling. 

"I was looking at the stars, sometimes I forget about them. They've just become a part of me." 

"I see them every morning when I change into my leathers. Together, right?" 

"Always, together." She felt the growing warmth inside of her. The possessiveness that had been pulling at her chest for years. 

Cassian hadn't seen Keena all day, and while their interactions had been limited due to his worry about Rhys, he was surprised to see the meal that he'd left on the table for her at breakfast was still there when he returned for lunch. Mor and Azriel had barely left the war room, since Rhys hadn't returned home that night. They were all waiting for any news, good or bad. 

He was carrying a large tray of food into the room when he heard his High Lord's voice, and judging from the looks on their faces Mor and Azriel heard him too.

'The borders of Velaris are closed indefinitely. All who are outside the walls will forget of its existence. The safety of this City and the Court is your priority, for no reason is anyone able to break the wards. All the High Lords are Under the Mountain and stripped of their powers. I do not know the future, but I will hold her back for as long as I have air in my lungs. I depend on you all to keep our family safe." By the end his voice was barely above a whisper, a show of his weakened power state. Mor fell towards to the ground, only to be caught in Azriel's arms just before she met the marble floors. They hadn't seen Amren appear in the corner, her facade the strongest out of the them. As his second, she was now in charge. Cassian felt a growing feeling of dread inside of his. Something was wrong. A piece of himself torn from his soul. He rushed from the room, his feet barely hitting the ground between steps as he raced to Keena's room. He threw open the door, not caring about disturbing the private boundaries they had set. 

His heart dropped. His mouth immediately becoming dry. 

The room was empty. Her leathers missing from the desk chair where he'd left them for her the night before. 

For the first time since he was taken from his mother, Cassian cried. Heart-wrenching sobs as tears flowed from his eyes and something inside of his chest shattered.