Chapter 9: Carys

Carys' POV

I hit the floor and my body writhes in pain, I try not to yell out in pain, I don't want to give Rhydian the satisfaction.

"Rhydian!" Jana screams at him and runs to my side while my dad stands back, looking on in shock, "She protected the cubs and the pack! She took all of that torture to save us!"

"If it wasn't for her we wouldn't need saving!" Rhydian shouts back to her, "All of this started going wrong when she got here."

Jana helps me to my feet, "You weren't even here when she arrived, you're the one who brought Kincaid to her doorstep!"

"I hate to break up your family drama, but you all have cells to get back to," Kincaid has his signature smirk on.

"Don't put them back with the wild pack, please," I beg, "They'll kill them and I know you don't want them dead. You just want them to be human."

Jana takes my hand, "And save the cubs. We'll cooperate if you will."

"Jana?" Maddy questions her.

"We came here to save them, if we fight this they'll die, and so will we."

"She's smart, you should listen to her. The serum I used on your wild friends will wear off, it was easier to get them here without all of their... feelings getting in the way, and the cubs will be fine."

Two of the guards take the cubs from Maddy's parents and they're taken back to their room. Kincaid walks ahead of us and the guards push us along behind him.

I wince, still in pain as the guard shoves me, Jana growls at him, "Stop it! She's hurt!" She shouts.

"Jana, it's fine," I say through tears.

"You're going to try to make us human aren't you?" Rhydian asks

"I'm not going to try. I've learnt from my mistakes, I know what I'm doing," Kincaid says, and he looks at me, "Jana's little girlfriend is already well on her way to being normal."

Jana looks at me, sorrow in her eyes, and then she looks back at Kincaid, "You're a monster."

"I think you'll find that you're the monsters here, in there, all of you," the guards push us into another room, this time it's bigger. "Get them food and water," he says to a guard and they lock us in again.

This room has beds in it, one for each of us.

"Jana, there are 9 beds," I say, sitting down on one of them.

She sits beside me, "9 beds? So?"

"How did he know how many to get? How did he know that dad and I would be here? He planned for this, every step of the way, he knew," I look over to Dad who is sitting on the floor in the corner, his head in his hands. "Dad?" Jana and I walk over to him, I crouch down at his side. "What's going on?"

He knows something the rest of us don't, I can see it on his face.

He looks up at me, crying, "I'm sorry," he says.

"Dad, how did he know we'd be here?"

"Alex, he was my brother," he looks around at everyone staring at him, and shame settles across his face.

"No, you don't have a brother, you said it was just you left in your family. And he's human, that doesn't make sense," I stand up, backing away from my dad and taking Jana's hand.

"He was your foster brother, wasn't he?" Rhydian says.

"You said you grew up in the wild."

Looking guilty as sun, he stands and tries to look at me but he can't meet my eyes, "I ran away from home, when I was 12, because of him."