Chapter 2: Jana

Jana's POV

I wake up with one arm underneath Carys and the other resting on top of hers, which is lying across my stomach. Her head is nestled into my neck. My heart starts to race, and I have to calm myself down so the pounding doesn't wake her up.

She's fast asleep and I don't want to disturb her, so I gently slide my arm out from underneath her and try to climb out of her light grasp, but in her sleep, she pulls me back in, and she moves her head onto my chest. I don't know what else to do, so I just lie there looking at her.

I know I shouldn't be staring at her like this but I can't pull my eyes away. She looks so much more relaxed when she's asleep, her furrowed brow has smoothed itself out and a delicate smile sits on her pink lips.

In the wild, we'd often curl up to each other for warmth in the winter, but in Carys' bed, we're adorned with blankets. I'm not sure if this is something that people do in their sleep normally, but I can't say I don't like it.

As she lets out a small breath, her eyelids twitch and I find myself desperate to look into her eyes. I wonder what dreams filled her head all night and hope they were good. In a moment of weakness, I brush a strand of hair over her ear, and then she opens her eyes.

"Morning," I say awkwardly. She jumps out of bed. "Sorry I didn't mean to wake you, you looked so peaceful."

"No no, it's my fault, I'm sorry, I must have been really tired from the move. Um, I'll go put the kettle on, do you want a cup of tea? Or coffee? Hot chocolate?" She doesn't wait for my answer, she just leaves the room in an awkward hurry.

I crash my head into the pillow, pull the covers over my head and fall back asleep, only to be woken by Carys pulling the sheets off of me about 10 minutes later, placing a cup of coffee for me on her bedside table.

"I swear I can already feel tomorrow's dark moon coming on," I let out a yawn and sit up against the headboard.

"Me too," she sits next to me and crosses her legs, sipping her coffee. "Drink up, we'll need our energy today, especially me, first day and all."

"You do know that caffeine doesn't affect Wolfbloods?" I say taking my drink from the table.

"Don't remind me," she laughs awkwardly, still embarrassed. "Look, I really am sorry about earlier. Last night you seemed so tired and you sort of cuddled into me, I didn't want to wake you, so I just let you be. I didn't think I'd be the one clinging to you this morning," her cheeks flush red.

I blush a little too, "Don't apologize. I guess you're not the only one who gets a little lonely," I reassure her.

Carys' smile falters, she's probably thinking about her mum, "Yeah I guess we're in pretty similar situations, but we can be a pack now. If you want."

"Yeah," I reply, "I'd love that."

She gets up and pulls her new uniform out of her wardrobe, "Wow, it's very... grey," she grimaces at the outfit.

"You'd look pretty in anything," another moment of weakness. I regret it as soon as I say it. My cheeks must be the colour of my hair by now.

She just smiles and turns away, "Thanks."

"Sorry, that was weird. Uh, my clothes are in the cellar, I'll go and get ready," I rush out of her room, closing the door behind me. I'm usually so confident, but around Carys I find myself acting like a bumbling idiot.

After I'm changed, I sneak out of the cellar and knock on the front door like Carys and I planned. Geraint opens the front door. "Hi, I just came to see if Carys wanted to walk to school with me."