Chapter X: A New Era Dawns

Draco was silent as he walked slightly behind his father; he could tell that he was concerned for him and didn't know exactly what to say to him or how to express it. It was clear that Lucius seemed to have some regrets; his eyes gave that away even if he refused to look at his son directly.

As they both entered his study; the fireplace roared to life and Lucius sighed with agitation. He went to his desk and rummaged in the topmost drawer; where Draco knew a secret compartment was that held a lot of his more...questionable letters and such.

To know that Potter's letter had been placed there; it was telling to how much time had changed in so little time.

"Draco, before I give this to you to read." Lucius said softly, "Know that I didn't withhold this to anger you, or because I felt that you didn't deserve to read it. I was eventually going to allow you to see the letter that Potter had sent, but...I also wanted you to have time to try and distance yourself from your feelings towards Potter."

Lucius then seemed sad, "I knew. I knew long before now that they already would not be accepted nor returned; because I saw first-hand from the memories they left of how...Potter and the Dark Lord were gradually accepting the roles they had to each other.

How their roles kept them connected by barely a thread, and what had occurred to each of them individually. How these experiences had caused shifts in opinions and their views to other areas. How it had changed them both."

Lucius paused to make sure his son was listening; Draco's gaze was intent, yet also distant. As if he couldn't believe all of this. Not as of yet.

Lucius spoke gently and gave to his son a sad smile, "The Dark Lord has always been...obsessive about Potter. First finding the prophecy that bound them and trying to find him to kill him. Now the prophecy is averted, but their connection remains untouched despite all that has befallen them recently, and they remain bound.

I have been aware for some time of the changes that Potter and our Lord were going through and accepting in the other. Forcing me to accept that the future of our cause would change. With how I knew of the Dark Lord due to my many years of service to him, and how I had known of his personality...I knew exactly how dangerous it would be to anyone else that tried to get in the middle and to separate them.

I didn't want you to read this; and then to have a sense of false hope due to how some phrases were worded."

Lucius sighed again, "I feel, at times, I have been a very bad father for you. I was too distant on a lot of levels while you were a child; I didn't feel like I should be close because of my dealings with the Dark Lord. I wanted to keep you out of that life as much as I could because I didn't want to force you to re-live another version of my life as I have done with your grandfather.

Yet, when I was teaching you about magic when you were younger in order to prepare you for the role you would eventually have to take from me; I was harsh and at times, cruel. It was why I often heard of how you ran to Narcissa after and sought her healing comfort.

I didn't prepare you for this life as a Death Eater as well as I should have. This is both mine and Narcissa's fault; as we never wanted you to need to live the same life as I have. She spoiled you in ways that I tried to curb; but ultimately, I couldn't bring myself to."

Lucius eyed the fire, "In that regard, I was weak."

He tensed as he stood there, "I am quite aware that I didn't give you the best examples to follow; though considering my allegiance to the world of magic...perhaps that is to be understood; on a basic level."