Chapter III: The Trials Begin

Lord Malfoy was sharply awoken by the alarms in his wards; the blaring of them instantly waking him and setting him on alert; though he only slightly relaxed as he realized that the sound was not the one for intrusion or a siege. But, he still scowled as he jumped up and hurriedly put his robe on. He saw Narcissa do the same before vanishing to another room through a secret safety exit as he walked briskly down the hall while his son came from his room and saw him.

Draco was bleary-eyed and only half-dressed; a small yawn threatening to come out as a twitch to Lucius's lips threatened to show itself for the behavior. His son trusting that he would be able to protect them if something bad happened. While he was grateful for that trust; he also internally wished Draco would take things more seriously at times. This was a war, after all.

"Father, why are the alarms for the wards going off? I have not heard that particular sound before?" Draco asked hesitantly

Lucius eyed him and his wife; who reappeared before them, "Another potential raid warning, I think. They have not yet attacked the barriers nor tried to breach them, so I believe this is more about finding information. I will go and to see what all the fuss and commotion is for. Narcissa, in the meantime, please pack everything we will need for now; about a week and half's worth of it, and send them to our safehouse with two or three elves before heading there.

Draco, you will need to do the same and to pack all you will need for at least the next week and half. No arguing...if this is not a raid for information; then the order has come to capture and or to interrogate us. Or rather, me."

Lucius's face gave way to resignation, "I made a show of knowing that I knew more than I let on. I never hid that; I knew my lord and that Potter by extension, would not want me to hide everything away.

They will be looking for ways to gain new information that I may or may not have at this particular time. My lord trusts that I will know what to say to them and what not to allow to be said, but I want to err on the side of caution. Just in case; Albus has been...more unpredictable as of late; especially after the meeting of the Wizengamot a month before."

He eyed the wall sternly, "As have all of the most influential and powerful of the Light side; the meeting rattled them, and many of them are not sure how to act or to respond. They are confused, angry, worried, and very scared for what lies ahead and in wait."

He shifted, "I will buy you both some extended time and to follow you both soon after if allowed. If I do not show after another two hours, you may assume I was attacked and captured. Do not return here nor try to find me; wait for our lord to come back with Potter and inform them." He said slow

"Wait for their direction on how to handle the situation." He spoke soft and clear

Narcissa nodded; though her eyes showed her hesitance to the orders. They might not have ever truly loved the other as real spouses, but Lucius; he was still her husband for the time being. They had shared good times and bad as friends, partners in crime, and because of this bond to him in this manner; she did in her own way, care for him. 

Draco's own eyes mirrored the emotions in his mother's; yet they expressed his emotions differently due to him being his son, before they hurried back to their chambers. 

Both were worried and pale; knowing that the new war had just really started. The scuffles of before had been minor; incidents without worth of mentioning. But no one had been captured or killed; so Albus was taking the initiative this time and not waiting for them to act.

This was dangerous, and he had more reasons than one to be leery. Some of them more closely guarded to his heart than he wanted to believe. He prayed that his instincts were wrong; that what he assumed was not something that would come to pass. That if it did; someone would be merciful and re-direct the actions.