CHAPTER SEVEN | nolan

Nolan is back! I know the last chapter was a little bit mellow, compared to the previously intense chapters, so I hope this makes up for it. :D Remember, please comment :D I love hearing what you all have to say. And vote! Also, share with others so they can enjoy Forever too :D Another way to share, is by adding Forever to your reading list :D This will help those lazy people or smart people, so you don't have to keep hitting the share button. Instead, people will check out your reading list, see Forever in there, and it is a win-win :D Now onto Nolan :D

*****

I basked in the glory of the steaming shower. The hot water pelted my naked skin, the droplets ricocheted off and glistened in the light, as they descended to the shower floor. Some were stubborn enough to cling to my arm hair and it reminded me of the dew in the morning, on the grass blades and flower petals. Granted, that doesn't sound very manly of me, but I am a nature fanatic, so I paid attention to these things.

Turning off the shower, regret washed over me as the cold air resulted in goose bumps on my arms. I grabbed a pair of jeans that lay in my clean clothes pile and one of my favorite t-shirts. The fresh smell of mountain spring permeated my clothes. There was nothing like clean clothes and cotton. Cotton was the epitome of comfort. Before I left my room, which was decently tidy for having left it in a fit of anger the previous day, I sprayed on a hint of cologne.

Gripping the doorknob with my right hand, I pulled the bedroom door open, closing it behind me, locked it and slipped the key into my pocket. I didn't know why, but I was anxious to see Aislin. The ring of her name resounded like a dream on my lips. I wanted a reason, an excuse, to say it again. But when I stopped in front of her door, I could still hear the shower running. Smiling, I brought my hand back down to my side and turned toward the stairs, and headed down to the tavern to help out Greyson. I could wait a little while longer. I didn't want to deprive Aislin the sensation of a nice, long, hot shower.

My boots were heavy against the solid, wooden steps, as they sounded a clunk with each footfall. It was hard to be quiet, but tonight was slightly different, as the tavern was roaring with life. The loud, obnoxious laughter of a relatively large woman reached my ears, as a man's voice cut her off with an encore to the previously crude joke he had shared with her. My brother's deep and thick voice somehow was heard above the roar of the tavern's guests.

Upon reaching ground level, I took my place behind the bar and started helping Greyson. Every so often, the memories of bygone days, when I was too small to reach across the bar counter, would come to mind, as I busied myself cleaning and taking orders. Half smiling to myself at this memory, I felt a hearty slap on my right shoulder from my brother. He appreciated any help he could get from me and never complained about the days I drank my pain away. He knew why and left me to cope the way I knew best. 

"It's good to have you home. I missed you last night." Greyson let the noise of the tavern swallow his words. Though, only I had been close enough to hear him.

Smirking, I replied, "Don't go getting all mushy on me, Greyson."

The tavern was beyond crowded. It was packed. Crammed full of hormonal females and drunken males from wall to wall. The stench of tobacco filled the room from floor to ceiling. It was musty and hot with all of the bodies that occupied such a small space. It was a good thing Greyson had a cocktail waitress on hand and three great cooks that were not only excellent at their job but were quick and efficent. They made a superb team and Greyson was lucky to have them.

I had just handed off another drink order to Heidi, our short, strawberry blonde cocktail waitress, when the man sitting a couple chairs down from where I stood, started blurting out his conversation. His belligerent actions were unmistakable signs of drunken behavior. It's doubtful few would know that any better than me.