52: The Princess

Clothilde, Babette, and Monique have just finished the unpleasant business of removing a dozen assorted chambermaids, guards, and ladies-in-waiting from Mireille's staff and are resting in the antechamber of the Princess's suite when an imperious knock sounds at the main door to the suite from the palace corridors. Clothilde reluctantly rises to answer the knock; with two guards stationed outside it and no sound of calamity, she assumes the guest must be a safe one.

"Who calls upon the Princess of Vyrunia?" she inquires as she opens the door.

"I bring a message from His Majesty, King Christophe of Vyrunia," one of the King's personal attendants announces haughtily in an irritating nasal tone. "He has concluded his brief rest but flatly refuses to conduct any business with his Royal Ministers regarding Vyrunia's relations with Mordalce and Khandazar without his daughter, Her Highness, the Princess Mireille of Vyrunia, present. Accordingly, he commands that she make ready immediately and come with me to the Hall of Private Audience."

"I shall awaken her and help her make ready," Monique volunteers immediately, slipping out of the antechamber.

"Do come in and sit down while you wait. It may take some time for the Princess to dress appropriately for such a meeting," Clothilde invites. The King's personal attendant comes in and sits down in the nearest available chair. "Babette, dear, will you have some refreshments brought for the King's attendant?"

"It would be an honor," Babette replies, only slightly less than sincere, and does as she has been asked.

Meanwhile, Monique has entered the Princess's bedchamber to find Mireille lying in bed, staring blankly at the purple silk canopy overhead.

"Forgive me for disturbing you, Your Highness," Monique begins softly.

"Monique. You are just the person I wanted to see," Mireille replies frankly, sitting up as soon as she has realized that she is no longer alone. "I was already quite disturbed by a dream I had, no doubt brought on by that letter..."

"What tidings from the Prince? We are all most curious—"

"I am sure that you are, and that you have already deduced the important part, that Khandazar seeks to place spies in my household. Evidently they seek a way to kidnap me or otherwise coerce me into wedding that Grand Chancellor of theirs."

"A horrible man, by all accounts."

"I have gathered as much, and I am certain, after the incident you briefly recounted involving the ambassadors who approached my mother in the palace corridors, that you know more than I do about him. But it is that incident I wish to speak with you about."

"Make haste, my lady. The King wishes your presence at his meeting with his Royal Ministers, and his personal attendant is waiting in your antechamber to accompany you to that meeting."

"Of course. I expected that, too, only not so soon." She sighs heavily, privately wishing that more rest could be had before that meeting. "I will be brief. You mentioned that one of those ambassadors is yet living, under house arrest within the palace walls, and that you believe his allegiances can be changed?"

"Yes, it is as you have said it."

"Very good. I would like you to speak with this ambassador, while I am meeting with the King and his Royal Ministers. Anything you can find out about Khandazar from him, particularly regarding their government and this Grand Chancellor who would take me to wife, would be most appreciated, as would anything you can do to sway his loyalties. Offer to convey a letter to his family on his behalf, as payment for his information, and inform him that as long as he cooperates with us, I will exert what influence I have to see to it that he remains alive."

"You are sure this is the course you wish to take?"

"Do you think it a bad one?"

"No. I wanted to suggest something similar, myself. If the wrong persons catch wind of this, though, you and I could be in significant trouble with Their Majesties."

"Then you must simply make certain that the wrong persons do not catch wind of it. You were already involved in writing a message to Khandazar regarding the conduct of these ambassadors. Travel with your own guards—choose whomever in my household you find most trustworthy—and tell them that you have come to seek additional information from the prisoner, to help ensure the Princess's safety. Whoever is guarding him will likely not question it, and even if they do, they will not be privy to the details of your meeting."

"It shall be done, Your Highness."

"Please, Monique, call me Mireille. We are friends, are we not?"

"Yes, but it is not every day that one's friend both has a royal title and acts as a shrewd and capable monarch."

"Thank you. I suppose I must now make ready to meet with the King and his Royal Ministers."

"Christelle and I will assist you. I will fetch her directly."

"Much appreciated." Mireille gets out of bed and examines the contents of her armoire while Monique goes to rouse Christelle from her much-deserved rest. I am most fortunate, to call two such strong and trustworthy women my friends, Mireille ponders. But I am tired of having to rely on them so much to stay safe. I must do all that I can, in this meeting with my father and his governing officials and in our combat training, and anywhere else the opportunity arises, to protect myself and serve my people, and the people of Mordalce. Tyranny must no longer be permitted to flourish and cause anyone to live in fear. Her thoughts flash back to her life as Agnes's apprentice, and she shudders to remember the terror and the pain, the isolation and the hopelessness, that were her constant companions for those years. No one should ever have to live that way. Whatever I can do to help people in such distress, I must do, as soon as possible. I have been granted a position with some power, however hidden, to create change, and it is my sacred duty to change things for the better. This is what it means to be royal, even as a Princess.