48: The Temptress

Mireille watches the majestic, snow-capped Vyrennes slowly jolt by through the carriage window, as enraptured by her country on the fifth day of the royal progress as she was on the first. They travelled from Avren to Meringe, from Meringe to Févine, and now they are approaching Ghyslain's Bridge, which crosses the Adrennes River, on the road from Févine to Estral, the last city they will visit on their progress. Mireille would have liked to do more, but King Christophe is already displeased that they spent an extra day in Févine, giving alms to the poor and discussing the potential to move the royal seat there, further than the Palace of Roses from Vyrunia's borders with other nations, should the need arise. Mireille is ardently in favor of such a plan, but she dares not say so unless she is directly asked, at least not while they are still away from the Palace of Roses. More than one of her father's castellans has commented unfavorably on Mireille being allowed to speak to the public at all. The fact that she has opinions of her own, some of them quite strong, would undoubtedly cause great stress to such traditional older men, and as much as she enjoys flouting protocol, the royal progress itself, not to mention her own role in it, is sufficiently progressive for her taste.

"Are we there yet?" Christelle groans. For her part, the blonde Duchess would dearly love to be forever finished with riding in carriages.

"I believe we should be crossing Ghyslain's Bridge in the very near future," Marcel replies, taking some pity on Princess Mireille's favorite attendant. While Mireille has thoroughly enjoyed every moment of seeing her country and meeting her people, Christelle's enjoyment of their adventure has been tempered by her carriage-sickness.

"I'm sorry they won't let you ride horseback," Mireille tells Christelle in Mordalcean for the umpteenth time over the course of their journey. "I've asked multiple times, but they insist it's too dangerous."

"I know. It's not your fault," Christelle answers in kind. Marcel and Edouard roll their eyes. They have grown used to Mireille and Christelle during the journey, and even grown to like them, but their habit of conversing privately in a language that neither guard understands is endlessly irritating to both young men.

"We've almost finished the progress, without any incidents."

"Yes, but I understand why they insist on maintaining the original safety restrictions. There is too much at stake to risk losing you, and if I were captured—"

"You're right. I would stop at nothing to bring you back."

"Which I appreciate, as that is what friends are for, but certainly the powers that be would not be as appreciative." Christelle sighs and then groans as a fresh wave of nausea crashes over her. "I know you are enjoying this, and wish it would last longer, but I am eager to return to the royal seat. Do you suppose our friends have written us anything of interest?"

"I suppose it depends whether anything of interest has occurred in their realm of influence. Assuming they have deciphered the message that we are currently inaccessible, it would not make sense for them to write more than they usually do, and letters have been rather less frequent than we would like of late."

"You and your particular friend have both been quite busy recently."

"Yes. I never dreamed that royal balls and ceremonies involved so much work and preparation." Mireille pauses, tracing an intricate pattern on the window-frame while contemplating the mountains. "I truly do not wish to prolong your misery, but I am loath to return to that gilded cage, with all the etiquette and regulations and lessons. We have been so much freer during this journey."

"Aye, that's true, and what lessons we've had while travelling have been much more enjoyable than our usual pursuits." Christelle is referring to the combat instruction they have been receiving from Marcel and Edouard during their stays in villages (another aspect of Princess Mireille's conduct to which King Christophe's castellans have objected). It is perhaps the only area of their instruction in which Christelle has been outshining Mireille, although neither young woman has been performing badly in the traditionally masculine arts of swordplay, archery, and hand-to-hand combat.