Chapter 9

A few days later, a reply came in Sirius's elegant handwriting.
Dear Harry,
I can assure you 100%, that Lily Evans family had no ties to any known magical family, therefore you have no connection to Slytherin on her side. As you know I spent a great deal of time with James's family as a teenager, so I know quite a bit about the lineage, but by no means everything. But the Potters have a long history in Gryffindor house. I believe that the Potters are descended from the Peverell family, and between those two factors, it is incredibly unlikely that you have any relation to Salazar Slytherin. However, parseltongue does not run in the Potter family, so I will have to make Remus do some research on that. Fleamont Potter went to Hogwarts in the late 19-teens early 1920s, so you may want to check any Hogwarts records from that time period. I understand feeling lost among your peers due to circumstances outside of your control. Please know that Remus and I care about you deeply and will always be there for you, regardless of what other people say.
Love, Uncle Sirius

***
The month had finally passed, and it was the night that Harry and his friends were to execute operation polyjuice.
Step one was luring Crabbe and Goyle into a broom closet with just enough sleeping potion to get them through the polyjuice hour undetected. Neville had smuggled some cupcakes out of the kitchens, which Hermione spiked with some sleeping potion that Harry had made. They set up the cupcakes on a lone table after luring them away with Ron's expert Draco impression. (Ron was really good at impressions). Once Crabbe and Goyle ate the cupcakes, the four of them stashed them in a nearby broom closet and ripped out the hairs needed for the potion. They also had to take their robes as part of the disguise. They had 2 hours before the potion would wear off.

Step two: Drink the potion. Neville stayed behind to make sure that no one discovered the broom closet, while Harry, Ron and Hermione went up to the girls bathroom on the second floor to actually drink the polyjuice. Harry and Ron were the ones actually drinking it, and infiltrating the Slytherin dorms. Hermione was going to keep track of time and alert the boys that there was five minutes left in the hour, using watches she had charmed. She had one and Harry had one. Meanwhile she would dispose of any evidence of the potion making.

Hermione measured out two cups to drink the polyjuice. She handed one to Harry and one to Ron. Harry put Goyle's hairs into his potion and Ron put Crabbe's into his.

"Bottoms up," Harry said as he drank the potion. Ron followed suit.
"I think I'm going to be sick," Ron said. Running toward one of the stalls. He gagged a bit, but did not actually get sick.
Harry looked into the mirror above the sink and saw his face slowly change into that of Goyle.

When Ron emerged from the stall, he looked exactly like Crabbe. So the two of them rushed off toward the dungeons, hoping they would be let into the Slytherin dorms by one of the other students. Luckily for them, when they were nearing the dorms, they heard a voice behind them. "Ah Crabbe, Goyle, there you are. Come on," Draco stated leading them toward the dorms. He opened the Slytherin common room with the password and Harry and Ron followed him up to Draco's dorm, which they presumed was also Crabbe and Goyle's.

They sat down on the beds. "I'm surprised the daily prophet hasn't done a report on all these attacks. Dumbledore is probably trying to hush it up." Draco wondered aloud. "Honestly, father always did say Dumbledore was the worst thing to happen to this school."

"No," Harry let slip as he shook his head.
"You think there's someone worse than Dumbledore?" Draco sneered. "Harry Potter?" Harry offered.

"You're absolutely right, Goyle," Draco agreed, smiling arrogantly. "Saint Potter! And people think he's the heir of Slytherin? What rubbish!"

"Who is it then?" Ron asked, trying to sound stupid.

"You know I don't! I told you yesterday!" Draco sneered. "But my father did tell me this: the last time the chamber was opened was 50 years ago. And a mudblood died. But he wouldn't tell me who opened it, only that they were expelled."

Harry felt a light vibration on his watch. He looked and it said five minutes left. Harry made a gagging face. "What's the matter with you?" Draco asked. "Stomach ache." Harry said getting up, and making a beeline for the door. Ron followed suit.

They ran as fast as they could out of the Slytherin dorms and back to the bathroom on the second floor. There they ditched the Slytherin robes they had stolen from Crabbe and Goyle in favor of their own clothes. Then they, now joined by Hermione, made their way back to the broom closet where Neville stood guard, put the robes they stole from Crabbe and Goyle in the closet with them for when they woke up. Then all made their way back to the Gryffindor common room, and up to the dorm room that Harry, Ron, and Neville shared with Dean and Seamus. Neville poked his head in to make sure that Dean and Seamus weren't there. They weren't.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all entered, and Harry and Ron recounted the information they had gleaned from Malfoy. "I will check the archives from fifty years ago." Hermione said.

"Well, this at least solves one thing: I'm not the heir of Slytherin. It was longer than 50 years since my grandfather was a student. And my dad was only here 20 years ago." Harry said.