[26] Confirmation (1/2)

𝘙𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵, 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯.

The cloudless sky revealed the entirety of the full moon, and before they knew it, Lan Yuning's driver was outside Gu Xiao's home.

After he left, Gu Xiao took a shower and sat back down in the living room, pulling out a stack of past papers.

Gradually, he ended up staring at the ceiling with cluttered thoughts roaming around his brain. Everything seemed fine until Lan Yuning asked him if he liked anyone currently. After that, it appeared Lan Yuning's attention had drifted off elsewhere. 

Gu Heiyu came out of her bedroom and started rummaging through the cabinets in the kitchen.

"Dad is eating dinner with that woman," she yawned and pulled out bags of chips.

"Did he tell you?"

"No. You didn't see, but before you brought Lan Yuning home, he was dressed quite... out of character. When I asked him where he was going, he got flustered and started stuttering."

"Really?" Gu Xiao said, wholly absorbed in his own thoughts.

"I'm surprised someone would want to go out with him. I doubt he would introduce her to us soon. Maybe that woman is playing around with dad, but why would she? It's not like he is rich. I heard she is actually from the UK. She only came to China on a contract from a branch company here. Let's say he does want to be in a serious relationship, and then that woman needs to go back to the UK."

"Oh, really?"

"Does that mean we will have to move countries? Hey, are you even listening to me?"

Even though Gu Heiyu was blabbering about their father and his lover, Gu Xiao's head was already preoccupied with his own feelings.

This fever within his chest numbed his mind every time he thought about Lan Yuning.

Now that he thought about it clearly, his heart was always skipping uncontrollably when he was around Lan Yuning.

Sometimes, he couldn't even look him in the eyes because he would enter this panicking state despite never showing it. He remembered Lan Yuning's words and kept thinking about it.

Gu Heiyu grabbed her food and was just about to head to her room until he yanked her down to the couch.

"I need help."

"Help? Yes, I know. Can I go now? I'm going to miss the stream."

Gu Xiao touched his chest and looked at his sister with droopy eyes. She followed his actions and furrowed her brows.

Seeing that she would probably stay here, she ripped open her packet of chips and chewed on them aggressively.

"I like him."

Just as she was about to swallow the chips, she choked and spat out everything in her mouth while even punching her chest twice.

"Are you stealing someone from my list of one hundred and fifty-eight husbands?"

"When did it reach one hundred and fifty-eight? Hold on, that's not the point. Now that I think about it, my heart always beats so fast every time he is around me. Is that strange?"

"Are you okay? No, you were never okay. Who are you even talking about?" she asked and coughed out the remaining rice that was stuck in her throat.

Without hesitation, he said, "Lan Yuning."

Hearing that, Gu Heiyu choked on her snacks again and widened her eyes as though she was having traumatic flashbacks from the day she was in their mother's stomach until now.

Yet, she wasn't surprised because her brother liked a boy—she already knew he liked him, judging by the way Gu Xiao spoke of him—but the fact that he admitted it so nonchalantly.

"You like him?"

"I think I do. I tried so hard to maintain my composure when he asked me who I liked. What if it was obvious that it looked like I liked him? He would probably be weirded out."

"Calm down, calm down. How does your heart beat? Is it like a strong beat or is it soft? Or is it a strong, soft beat? Or soft, strong beat? Or maybe a mix and match?" she asked earnestly, which made Gu Xiao's brain buffer for a moment.

"Just answer me."

"Maybe all of the above."

Her pupils dilated, and she waved her chip at him.

With the sudden change of her expression, Gu Xiao leaned in, wondering what sort of wisdom she would share with him.

"What is it?"

"You have coronary artery disease."

"...."