Proposal in the Peach Forest

Fengjiu took Dong Hua to the market that afternoon, to meet the women who picked the fruit.
"These are the finest fruit pickers in all of the realms." She told him and he greeted them formally. She watched as they shook, their heads to the ground.
"Please ladies, relax. Dong Hua Dijun is a huge fan of your skills." She told them and he smiled to them.
"Your fruits are some of the finest I have tasted." He complimented them and watched as they all thanked him in a deep bow.

Dong Hua took the bag of fruits from Fengjiu and the people of Qin Qiu watched on with suspicious eyes. They had always known that their Queen was a great beauty. But enough to lure in the Dijun? They were impressed. Everyone smiled and snigged as they walked through the market and Dong Hua felt the vitality of their life flow through him.
"You know your people well." He told her and she nodded back to him.
"Every Queen should." She told him and he smiled, nodding.
"I have never been in a place like this, without politics." He noted and she shrugged her shoulders.
"I try my best to please the people, I guess they appreciate it enough to not rebel."
"I think they are happy." He told her and she blushed.
"I hope so."

Fengjiu suggested they take a trip out on the river.
"Let's try not to fall in this time." She chuckled, as they climbed into the boat.
"Even if we do, I am sure I can fish you out again." He jested with her and she blushed, shaking her head.

She basked in the sun as Dong Hua rowed the boat.
"Did you ever think it could be like this?" She asked him and he looked to her, her face lit by sunlight, more beautiful than he had ever seen.
"I could have never hoped." He admitted and she chuckled.
"You were a lost man." She told him and he nodded.
"Yes, quite lost."
"Why didn't you come to me when you wanted to bring Ye Hua back?" He asked and she looked out over the river.
"I knew you would have tried to stop me." She admitted and he nodded.
"Undoubtedly." He confirmed and she ran her fingers through her hair.
"But if I had not done it, you would still be a grumpy old lump of rock." She teased him and he looked at her with a playful glint in his eye.
"How did such a grumpy old rock gain your affection, might I ask?" He asked, genuinely curious.
"Because under that grumpy solid layer, I saw you for who you really were." She whispered to him.
"And what is that?" He asked her, his curiosity peaked.
"A man who had been strong for too long." She told him and he wondered how she had seen him so clearly.
"Everyone always asked you for advice or approval, but no one ever truly cared for you, only admired you." She deduced and he offered his hand.

She took his hand and he pulled her over to his end of the boat, rocking it and spilling some water at their feet.
"What gave you such clarity?" He asked her, his face close to hers.
"I watched your eyes." She admitted and he pushed her hair away from her face.
"Did they really reveal so much?" He asked and she nodded.
"To me they did." She told him and he brushed his thumb over her cheek.
"What do they say now?" He asked, looking directly at her.
"I cannot tell." She whispered nervously.
"Have you lost your clarity?" He asked and she shook her head.
"I am just afraid to tell you what I see." She admitted and he stroked her cheek again.
"Tell me, Jiuer." He pleaded and she looked at him directly.
"I see love." She told him and his face became soft with a smile touching his lips.
"So you haven't lost your skill." He nodded, glad she still saw the truth.
"You are so hard to read now. You used to be an open book for me." He noticed, looking in her eyes, searching for a clue.
"I thought it was obvious." She whispered and he raised his eyebrows.
"I am not as clever as you, Jiuer. You have to tell me." He urged her and she placed her hands over her face, and he removed them immediately, holding her hands in his.
"I am a Foxtail, I love for life." She admitted and he smiled to her.
"And who is the recipient of this lifetime love?" He asked her and she turned a deep shade of red.
"Dong Hua Dijun." She whispered and he felt a weight leave his shoulders. A part of him had feared she had lost her love for him, but he could see the pleading in her eyes. He laced a hand around her neck and pulled her close.
"I will never disappoint you again, Jiuer. I promise." He told her, and before she could respond, he pressed his lips to hers.